Would this be a trade worth doing?

Discussion in 'Reloading Room' started by Dagwood, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Yes, thats a good deal and reloading is the way to go!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, not worth it, reloading components are getting scarce and expensive

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  3. Reloading is definitely the way to go, but i wouldn't take that deal

9 vote(s)
    69.2%
  1. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

https://www.armslist.com/posts/12728514/new-mexico-reloading-for-sale--hornady-lnl-ap-press-w-extras

Hornaday LNL AP Press with extras. I have a Glock 29 i'm into for about $450. Would this be a worthwhile trade? Been wanting to get into reloading for awhile. Is now even the time with the shortage of primers and powder and such?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2020
  2. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

I don’t reload and know zilch about it but it states dies are not included.
    You’ll have to take that into account.
    I also think it may be a bit of a large setup for a beginner with lotsa pieces that gotta go somewhere and you don’t necessarily know where.
    Hold on to your guns.
    Voted no.

* I’m thinking he made himself 3 million rounds of ammo and now he’s out of components and he can’t find any and that’s why he’s looking to trade for a gun.

3. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

I would not do it. If you can find one, you can buy the press new for that price. There are accessories included but not really that many that the seller mentioned.

Reloading supplies and have gotten scarce lately, as has ammunition and firearms. Due to panic buying. I think November 3rd will tell the tale. Even if it goes "our" way, I don’t expect it to clear up soon. Too much hate and discontent going on.

I can find components sporadically, but the prices are raised or they are rationed. Primers for example. One LGS is selling all you want if he has in stock, but they are now 0.08 a primer - double the price. A second is still 0.04, but you can not buy a sleeve of 1000, only two 100 count packs.

4. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

If you can find one being the operative term. I ordered a Lee Value Turret press and just went ahead and put it on back-order back on 12 Sept. A month-and-a-half later, it still hasn't shipped.

Same for that .38 wheel gun I ordered back around 18 Sept or so. Still not in yet.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Dagwood likes this.
  5. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

At least it gave you time to clean up the brass and dies. Buy/use a hand primer and go to town while you wait.

histed, lklawson and ajole like this.
  6. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I still have my single-stage. I can build whatever ammo I want on it. I'm just looking forward to being able to build it a little quicker with the turret. Running reloading steps in batches is OK but it doesn't seem to be as quick, even with the Lee Quick Change Bushings.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

7. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    1 pull doing 3 or 4 things should be faster, right?

8. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Yeah. But that's a progressive, not a turret. With a turret it's still one pull, one step. But the plate on top rotates and you don't have to swap out the case. Basically the same number of pulls, but it's faster.

The only thing that worries me at all is the powder feed. And that's just because I got bit by a clogged drop nozzle once. I'll have to flashlight every case, just to verify the powder drop. It's a big part of the reason I went to Unique.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

histed and ajole like this.
  9. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    That's why I haven't bothered with them yet...

Rerun and lklawson like this.
  10. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

You got to flick it or tap it. Titegroup can be finicky. I also wipe out the hopper with a dryer sheet before I fill it.

11. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I've given up on Titegroup. I was flicking/tapping it. But a frigg'n spider had built a web inside my powder drop tube and it slowly gummed up with powder until it started dropping light charges and I got a squib. ...at least one. I pulled down all the rest from that batch just to be safe.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

12. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    It's going to be a good bit of time before I start reloading, but I'm remembering that when I do.

13. greg_r

^^^^this^^^^

@lklawson you need to equip your turret press with one of the UFO lights. They are worth the money. I hav had 4 different turret presses, still have two of them. The Lee and Lyman manual advance are about twice as fast as the single stage. Both the Lee auto advance turrets are about 3 times as fast.

lklawson, moona11 and Rerun like this.
  14. histed

histed Supporting Member

What feed are you using? Nothing is spider-proof, but the newer Lee measures are better that the older powder disc measures, IMHO. Also, Unique is good, but Ramshot True Blue is better, if you can find it. It's a spherical powder that measures beautifully and won't bridge. About 4 gr with a 125 cast bullet is great in the 9mm or .38 Special. AND, in my AO, it is $2.00/lb CHEAPER than Unique - which appeals to the cheapskate in all of us

15. greg_r

I think the allure of unique for @lklawson is the same as for me. He is looking for something with as close to 100% load density as he can get. Rimshot True Blue is a good powder, but it leaves enough room in the case, espicallynthev38 special that a double charge is possible.

of course Kirk will have to answer for his self.

lklawson and histed like this.
  16. histed

histed Supporting Member

As usual, my Southern bar-b-queing friend, you are correct. I have fallen in love with the stuff and would buy another keg tomorrow, if I saw one, but it does NOT fill the old BP rounds even close to "full". With what I THINK I know of Kirk, it wouldn't be a problem, but...avoidance is the 1st step.

lklawson likes this.
  17. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Can we get back to Dagwoods needs?
    Mmmmmmaybe?

:popcorn:

Dagwood likes this.
  18. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Why? You don't know squat about reloading and the guy who has owned and rebuilt more presses than most of the forum combined said it wasn't a good deal. What other info do you need? Its not a good enough deal to make me want to jump on it.

I like my Lee Classic Cast 4-hole Turret press. Made several thousand rounds with it.

lklawson, Rerun and moona11 like this.
  19. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Who?

Dagwood likes this.
  20. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

I think you all answered my question. At this point, now may not be the time to try to start reloading. For all of you that have been doing it for awhile, you have components and powder and primers. I would be starting from scratch. The only thing I have is dirty brass.
    This could go one of two ways. After the election things could either normalize a bit and I could try again then, or chaos will insue, all our rights and freedoms will be sytematically taken away and we won't be allowed to buy reloading equipment or components or new ammo or new guns and our existing guns will be taken away or relegated to expensive clubs and hammers. Or, maybe we land somewhere in between. Maybe I can trade my Glock in for a Crystal ball. Or a magic eight ball haha.

ajole, Rerun and moona11 like this.