Would this be a trade worth doing?

Discussion in 'Reloading Room' started by Dagwood, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Yes, thats a good deal and reloading is the way to go!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, not worth it, reloading components are getting scarce and expensive

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  3. Reloading is definitely the way to go, but i wouldn't take that deal

9 vote(s)
    69.2%
  1. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

The Lee Perfect Powder Measure. The little rascal actually crawled inside the tube and built it's web.

https://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/threads/squib.331577/page-2

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

undeRGRound and histed like this.
  2. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

No, you're right. I have used Titegroup almost exclusively for 9mm for several years now. I bought it because @histed is right about it being a tad less expensive. Further it stretches further, requiring less grain weight per charge. But there is less than 0.5 grains difference between an undercharge and an overcharge. And that's what is finally putting me off of it. The charge weight is just too small. When I throw a bunch of casses, I can't tell just by looking at it if one case charge is any different from the case next to it, and I certainly can't tell just by looking if it is an undercharge or an overcharge.

I mean, Titegroup is great for my cheapscate gene, but pounding out squibs doesn't appeal to me and I'd have build a million rounds with Titegroup over Unique to pay for the difference in new barrels, never mind new guns.

Titegroup is just too finicky for me.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

moona11, ajole and histed like this.

3. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Gotta highlight this, spot on...

Dagwood likes this.
  4. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Third option....keep an eye out for cheap used stuff at yard sales, or online sales, or closeouts, and buy components in small lots when/if you find them.

For some uses, a C-Press or a Whack a Mole Lee Loader is all you need. My revolver and certain other odd rifle ammo is reloaded with a hammer, I don't need 50 rounds per week. Or month, even. Costs under $50 to start, plus components.

That's why I use a dipper AND a scale....:thumbsup:

Claymore, lklawson and Dagwood like this.
  5. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

Yard sales are good places to get reloading equipment. RCBS RS5 cost me $5. A rattle can of green paint and it looks new. I use it as a dedicated press for brass shot shells. I have a couple of others, and one I found at a thrift store.

lklawson likes this.
  6. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

I have found a couple like that, but I don't know enough about them to know if they are complete or operable so I pass on them.

undeRGRound likes this.
  7. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Makes sense but I can't see doing it for 9mm range fodder. I want to make a whole mess of it so that I can burn it up at the range a few hundred at a time. Using a dipper and a scale for every single charge would quadruple the time it takes to build a single round (at least). And I've read that commercial ammo factories use powder drop measures, not too different from the ones used by hand-loaders at home. If those are accurate/consistent enough for commercial ammo, they should be consistent enough for me. More likely, I was just using the wrong powder for the build method I was wanting.

I wonder if Titegroup would make a "good" powder for small pistol cartridges like the .32 and the .25?

[edit]
    EEEK! :eek: I just went and checked the Hodgdon page for Titegroup with 32acp and 25acp. In all cases there is a 0.2 grain difference between the minimum charge and the maximum charge!

I suspect that the tiny volumes of each make them so finicky.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

ajole and undeRGRound like this.
  8. undeRGRound

INDY
    While it's best to pass on the unknown, a little education would go a long way.
    I'd wager that you have missed out on some great deals! I need to hit these
    sales, the @greg_r method is great, dedicated press for each caliber ;) :clap: :thumbsup:

I wonder if he has one each for 38 Special and 357 Magnum? o_O

Dagwood and lklawson like this.
  9. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

no, I do not have one each for 38 spl and 357 Magnum. However, I do have a Lyman Spar-T turret press with the head det up for 38 Special and 357 Magnum.

Dagwood and undeRGRound like this.
  10. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Most of the press makers will sell you the parts needed to make a press work at a low price. Some will pretty much rebuild or refurb them for a really good price.

Take your smart phone with you and look up the model you're looking at to see it it's all there. Move the handle and see if the things that should move do so, or if they bind up. They aren't complicated machines.

Dagwood, undeRGRound and moona11 like this.
  11. undeRGRound

INDY
    I got a nice old Spartan/Lyman c-style from firearmfanatic with nearly all the bells and whistles. Hand Priming tool, 38spc/357M dies, trays, powder scales, dippers, case trimmer, lots of goodies. It was darn near free, cuz it was $60 SHIPPED. Great starter kit, one can do everything needed. Gave it to my son, he's so mechanically minded he had everything assembled in a matter of minutes. I also bought him a rockchucker last Christmas. If components are available, I suspect he will reload when he can get some and not be working overtime. His company is "essential" in the medical supply lines.

12. Claymore

Claymore Member

Right now, your Glock 29 holds more value than the reloading stuff he's offering.
    At the gun shop Glocks like yours (in perfect shape, of course) go for $550/$575 all day long

undeRGRound and Dagwood like this.
  13. shepherd321

shepherd321 Supporting Member

Just traded a 30/06 for cash and ammo. The trade really depends on what you need, I had 4 30/06s and was low on 223.

undeRGRound likes this.