Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Straight trade, yes. I know Century has a spotty reputation, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

Right now I'm trying to research what kind of (shorter) barrel and forend I could put on this thing. Sky should be the limit, right?

·
Registered
425 Posts
I would make the trade in a heart beat. You would be trading a rifle of questionable reliability and accuracy for more accurate and reliable rifle that would have more resale value and value right now- seeing that mini-14s new are around $650 and some ARs are going for $1200 or more used.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I would make the trade in a heart beat. You would be trading a rifle of questionable reliability and accuracy for more accurate and reliable rifle that would have more resale value and value right now- seeing that mini-14s new are around $650 and some ARs are going for $1200 or more used.
Well, I vote no, keep the Mini. It will keep right on firing long after ANY AR has stopped for needing to be cleaned. I don't care if its a $800 Oly or a $2000 Colt, AR's have to be cared for and cleaned far more often.

And SeaBasS, I have to disagree with you. Questionable accuracy, that I'll give you, but as far as reliable, a Mini is far more reliable. Now, I'm not looking to start a 'which is better' scenerio, as I own both, and have read and participated in several such threads. Outcome is always the same. AR more accurate, Mini more reliable. And, with a little bit of tweaking, ( just like our HP's ), a Mini can be just as accurate.

So I stand by my 'Keep the Mini' stance.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
I'd avoid that deal, Century ARs are mostly poorly made and seem jam prone. Your Mini14 is a far better rifle. Most any other make would be a fair or better deal.

Ron M.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
The only thing Century about those rifles are the receivers. And they are not made by Century. The other parts are surplus A2 military rifles which mean mostly Colt parts. There may be a few with excessive wear but for the most part, these will be decent shooters. There's really not that much that Century could have screwed up on these. They would have put a lower parts kit on the stripper lowers they got and slapped the upper on it. If you're worried, get the headspace checked and they should be good to go.

I'd take that trade straight across. Unless you were planning on doing some A-Team re-enactments 8)

Also as to the cleaning part, yes AR15s have to be cleaned. It is not excessive, people shoot carbine courses with them all the time requiring 500 rounds or so w/o cleaning. They are not an AK/SKS, the piston is a lot more forgiving than gas impingement. But they don't need to be babied either. Most of my ARs get a boresnake, some brake cleaner and CLP.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm really, really leaning towards the trade--think I've made my mind up, actually.

Anybody know of a place to get a shorter (16") barrel? Seems a lot of these companies are back-ordered for months. Would even be willing to trade, and throw in some cash if need be.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I would gladly do the trade without giving it a second thought.

A reasonable price for an AR lower is around 100-150 if you HAD to swap it out down the road.

A mini-14 is the gun that wants to be an AR when it grows up.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I understand what you are saying HouLlama, but if an AR is maintained properly it is a far better rifle than a mini IMO. I am not sure about Olys as a whole, but Ruger's QC is little to be desired when it comes to the minis, they are far too inconsistent. Some may be more accurate than an AR while others are just plain awful.

To each his own. :cool2:

·
Registered
557 Posts
I understand what you are saying HouLlama, but if an AR is maintained properly it is a far better rifle than a mini IMO. I am not sure about Olys as a whole, but Ruger's QC is little to be desired when it comes to the minis, they are far too inconsistent. Some may be more accurate than an AR while others are just plain awful.

To each his own. :cool2:
Maybe, but to be fair-- lets see how we perceive Bill Ruger in 10 years (heck, in 2 years). He rode the fence realizing that A) he had to sell weapons to make money. B) if he didn't make money, he couldn't sell more weapons. Say what you will, Ruger does make quality weapons (albeit with teething problems).

For what I want a Mini for, it will do just fine against CIA Ars-- Plusyou can accurize one for under $200 with minmal skills. I will say my dad has an early 80s mini that will shoot no matter what yo feed it-- even with dirt and crap in it...

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
I'm really, really leaning towards the trade--think I've made my mind up, actually.

Anybody know of a place to get a shorter (16") barrel? Seems a lot of these companies are back-ordered for months. Would even be willing to trade, and throw in some cash if need be.
Hey yo, Hate to interrupt but he is asking about a shorter barrel now. I don't know where to get a shorter barrel. Anyone else?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Your right to a point. My Mini is an older one, back when they were made right. It's nicely bedded in an aftermarket stock, and an excellent shooter. My AR is quite a good shooter as well. They are just different animals. The Mini is more like an AK, treat it bad get it dirty, pour sand in it ( not that I would ), and just shake it out and keep on shooting. Ruger had the right idea to design it based on the proven M1 Garand type action. But would I buy a new 2008/9 model, heck no. And while you do need to keep an AR cleaner, sure you can put thousands of rounds thru it between cleanings, as long as you give it a bit of oil here and there.

Like I said, I like them both. But if it came to trading my Mini for anything Century put together, not a chance. They have garnered too bad of a reputation over the last few years for their haphazard assemblies of AK's, CETME's and HK 91 clones. If it came from anyone else, I might consider it. Just my opinion of Century. Maybe they're better at AR's. I hope so. So, lets just agree to disagree, and let the OP get on to making his decision. Have a good evening, catch ya in another thread. Later...

·
Registered
799 Posts
I would make the trade. As a matter of fact does he have 2 he wants to trade?? I just so happen to have a mini up for trade.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.