Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cooker that 'grows' meat in your kitchen beats teleporting fridge and two-second clothes cleaner to win design prize

By Fay Schlesinger
Last updated at 9:58 AM on 25th September 2009

A controversial cooker that 'grows' meat and fish by heating animal cells in your kitchen claimed first prize in the Electrolux design competition tonight.
The invention, called Cocoon, could develop food with the make-up and nutrients of real meat.
Mr Hederstierna, 27, said: 'This will create 100 per cent pure meat without the need for animals to be killed and with no risk of contamination. It will change everything.'

The Cocoon, which would 'grow' its own meals, won the Electrolux competition

A food generator is a popular concept in science fiction programmes such as Star Trek.

Swedish industrial design student Rickard Hederstierna, 27, said it could tackle food shortages as the world's population spirals.

And the glass cooker, which would heat pre-mixed food packets containing muscle cells, oxygen and nutrients, would put an end to messy and time-consuming preparation.
Competition panelist David Fisher, design director of consultants
Seymourpowell, described the invention as 'controversial'.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...s-major-design-competition.html#ixzz0SAN1agTd

·
Banned
1,193 Posts
you had my interest until he said "no need for animals to be killed".

SW
im with SW.....no fun unless there is blood

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
As long as I can knock the mold off of it before I eat it, I guess I can live with it.

Isn't that similar to cloning? I mean come on, eating the same meat, literally, everyday for the rest of your life?

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
With food, it all comes down to perception, cost, and taste. I'll assume the 'packet' referred to means that a variety of meats can be grown. As long as it tastes okay and is functionally (chemistry, texture, taste, color, smell, etc) the same as meat from animals at a similar price, most people will go for it. I know a woman who is a big PETA supporter and she's been looking for this for several years. She admits she likes the taste of meat but won't eat it for 'ethical' reasons. This would provide her a source of meat that she wouldn't feel bad about.

Me, if I think it tastes good, I'll eat it -- and probably won't ask what's in it.

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
I dunno about "test tube meat", until we get a few decades of data on the safety of it I would think most people would prefer the real thing. Or one of the current meat substitutes out there marketed to Vegans. A major concern I would have is the lack of variety in the source. You are normally eating meat from a different animal every time you buy from the store, with this technology you appear to be essentially eating the exact same steak day after day, genetically speaking. Would that cause a problem? I dunno, I am not a scientist but it certainly is a concern.

Speaking of "almost meat",I've tried a few of the soybean based "meat substitutes" out there and some of them are pretty good. If they would just bring the prices down to be comparable to the cheaper cuts of meat they would take a much larger share of the market. The Moningstar brand of "sausage" links are really good and the now-defunct LomaLinda "balogna" was even better than the real stuff! However, when Wally World sells Banquet brown and serve links for 98 cents and the same amount of Morningstar links are $4, well let's just say the Morningstar section is always full and the Banquet section needs restocking hourly.

·
Banned
5,315 Posts
Me, if I think it tastes good, I'll eat it -- and probably won't ask what's in it.
2 words HOT DOGS... Ifeel the same way about them

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
first food makers next ZOMBIES!!!!! :devilsidesmile: :devilsidesmile: :devilsidesmile:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.