Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wright-Patterson Air Force Base is liberalizing the policy for bringing guns on Base slightly. You still cannot CCW on base (boo :( ) but there will be allowances in place to bring your firearm on Base.

The requirements are:
  • Have to be either LEO or have an Ohio recognized CCW license
  • Apply for and receive permission from the Base
  • Active Duty, Retired, Dependent, Civil Servant, or DoD Contractor (basically, you work on base or can legally be there)
  • The gun must stay in the car, unloaded, in a locking "container" (apparently before you get on base)
According to the article, "civilians" (contractors? civil servants? retirees who want to shop at the exchange on base?) can apply starting Oct. 15.

The article is not very well written, IMO, and some parts are unclear or may not be fully explained.

Nevertheless, this is fantastic news!

Article here:
https://www.shootingillustrated.com...wsletter&utm_medium=insider&utm_campaign=0820

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Super Moderator
28,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I love the idea that soon I won't be forced to be disarmed on my way to and from work. OTOH, I hate the idea of all the "administrative handling" that will be required. Loading and unloading every day has, um, "issues."

A snubbie wheel gun may be in my near future.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: Think1st

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts
Your solution is to have two identical guns.
Which you do...the R51

Reactions: moona11

·
Premium Member
3,254 Posts
I hope this starts happening on many military bases nationwide. It's stupid that a mass shooter has superior fire power until Security Forces show up which could be longer than fifteen minutes. Trained individuals should be allowed to protect themselves on a military base.

Reactions: Think1st

·
Super Moderator
28,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hope this starts happening on many military bases nationwide. It's stupid that a mass shooter has superior fire power until Security Forces show up which could be longer than fifteen minutes. Trained individuals should be allowed to protect themselves on a military base.
I agree but I'm not sure that this change achieves that. The firearm has to be stored in the car, unloaded. A potential defender would have to exit his building, get to his car, unlock the car, unlock the gun, load it, then return the to building.

What this seems to do, to me, is to allow the person to be armed while traveling to and from work. Right now, I can't do that. Gun has to stay at home.

This change will make it similar to the Ohio State law which allows the CCW holder to leave his gun in his car when he goes to a "School Safety Zone" or to work where the Employer prohibits guns. Actually, with the exception of 1) must be unloaded and 2) seems to require storage before getting on Base, it's almost exactly the same.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Super Moderator
28,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your solution is to have two identical guns.
Which you do...the R51
I'm feeling dense today. The joke went over my head. I even raised my arms fast.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
3,254 Posts
If what you said is true Kirk then the carrying unloaded in your car is about useless in my opinion. They should allow authorized and trained people other than Security Forces to carry a pistol loaded in some buildings. I can see some areas being heavily restricted on bases, but not all areas need to be like this. It's a military base for crying out loud. There are weapons on these bases with far more power than small arms.

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts
I'm feeling dense today. The joke went over my head. I even raised my arms fast.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Alright I'll talk slower.
You've got two identical guns and keep one loaded and one unloaded in accordance with the regs.
Depending on who asks you show either one being in compliance.
It wasn't a joke.

·
Premium Member
9,307 Posts
I hope this starts happening on many military bases nationwide.
I hope other installations adopt the same policies, too. While the administrative handling procedures will be a pain as Kirk said, I'd rather have the ability to carry when I'm en route to the commissary or BX/PX.

·
Administrator
24,797 Posts
If what you said is true Kirk then the carrying unloaded in your car is about useless in my opinion. They should allow authorized and trained people other than Security Forces to carry a pistol loaded in some buildings. I can see some areas being heavily restricted on bases, but not all areas need to be like this.
All of nothin, huh? Sounds like a false political tactic. You going to hold your breath too, or take the victory and look for the next one?

It's a military base for crying out loud. There are weapons on these bases with far more power than small arms.
Most stored behind locked barriers, usually guarded, and in an unready state

·
Registered
698 Posts
Wright-Patterson is where they took the remains of the aliens from the Roswell incident. Base staff prolly wanna' protect themselves from all the little green men running around. You know those AF sissy boys.

Reactions: CowboyBob

·
Super Moderator
28,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Alright I'll talk slower.
You've got two identical guns and keep one loaded and one unloaded in accordance with the regs.
Depending on who asks you show either one being in compliance.
It wasn't a joke.
I'm trying not to respond to this in insulting way. But you're suggesting that I drive smiling past heavily-armed checkpoints, people with actual, literal, machine guns. People who have the authority to stop and search my vehicle at a whim. People have the authority to give me cavity searches if something doesn't seem right to them. Something that could land me in club Fed. And you think it's a good idea to Jack around with two different pistols like the Security Police aren't going to be able to see through that?

Nah. I'm pretty sure you're just joking. I just missed it because my fagiggly gland is going bad.

·
Super Moderator
28,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
While the administrative handling procedures will be a pain as Kirk said,
that and holstering and unholstering loading and unloading make extra chance for human error.

Peace favor your sword ( mobile)

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,892 Posts
One of our contractors at Norfolk Naval Base walked into the security office one day and asked "What would happen if I came in with a weapon?" Shortly thereafter he was led out the door in handcuffs, never to return. That's the idiots that will have to be dealt with.

I realize that all government installations are not the same, but we had so many doors with CAT card locks, cypher or coded locks, and regular key locks in the building of 500+ people that I felt reasonably safe inside, except for a few folks that just didn't look right out of their eyes if you know what I mean.

And (tongue in cheek)...I never trust a sailor with a gun, Marine yes, sailor no. Marines at the base main gates were a good thing, especially in their sharp looking dress uniforms. Rent-A-Cops not so much.

Based on those rules, by the time you get to your car in case of an emergency, the situation has probably taken a turn for the worse. Most people I worked with would simply get in their car and drive home. If your job is security, arm up, shouldn't have to go to the armory to retrieve a weapon, that's too late for some poor victim.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I kind of like our po po chief's answer when I asked him how he felt about all of the local citizens carrying concealed......"I hope you would help me if I got in trouble." Deblabla might not get much.......nevermind....stop right there.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Such policy is not about having your gun to be the hero in a shooting incident. It's so you don't have to be disarmed all day because you got to a base for 15 minutes. Just because the base is a no-gun zone, why does someone have to be diisrmed to and from?

About a half dozen air bases have adopted some sort of policy for CCers to have their gun in the car. The rules range from the dumb, like above, to the very good, like Offutt had (until new base commander decided to nix it after one of the base shootings.)

Other than actually being able to carry, the best rules are to store the gun (not unloaded), not have to get permission, not notify the gate guard. Any ID/CAC card holder with a permit covered by this policy.

·
Premium Member
9,307 Posts
Speaking of installations, I find it annoying that ranges around here are requiring CCW holders to leave their concealed weapons in their vehicles before going onto the line. I know that that is probably in response to idiots pulling their concealed pistols to shoot on the line, effectively amounting to shooting from concealment in violation of posted rules, but the practice is already prohibited. I really don't like having to stash my weapon, unattended, in my vehicle. It's a huge pet peeve of mine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts