Wtb jimenez 9 or hp22A

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by travis9mm, Aug 16, 2014.

1. travis9mm

travis9mm Member

Lookin for a either a used jimenez 9 or hp22A. Im not a fan of auction sites and going through a bidding war... ive got my permit to buy and conceal carry so no problems buying and shipping to an ffl. Im in iowa and would appreciate anything you might have

2. bigmfkp

bigmfkp woodsman Member

Hello Friend

I don't have experience with the Jimenez but I bought the Phoenix hp22 about a Year ago and I really like it. The safety features can be a bit redundant at first but their is a modification vid on YouTube if it is a problem. I have not had the first problem with it yet. I ordered Mine from buds gun shop. I believe it was $130.00 and buds paid the shipping to My FFL. Its a pretty accurate little pistol & very concealable. It has a 10rd magazine.
    Happy & Safe Shooting Friend. :D

3. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Member

What are your plans for the pistol? Is it to conceal carry or just plinking/target punching?

For a plinking pistol, the HP22A is hard to beat. Lots of fun at a low cost. My girlfriend loves her little HP22A. For conceal carry?... well, that’s a personal choice. It’s also heavy for a small 22LR pistol and it will keep reminding you that it’s there. (My Taurus TCP 380 is half the weight of a HP22A.) I’m going through the same debate with the girlfriend; 22LR or a 380/38 spl. for her conceal carry.

I don’t have any first hand knowledge on the Jimenez, but what seems to be trend with the “ring of fire” pistols is that they are all improving over time. So consideration of a “used” means that you could wind up with an old model with a really poor quality reputation.

My vote:

Used Jimenez – Pass, keep looking for a 9mm.
    HP22A –great for plinking, but just ok for a conceal carry. Ten rounds is a plus though.

4. zombiekiller

zombiekiller Member

If you want it to carry and don't plan to shoot a lot then the Jimenez 9. If you want something to go to the range and shoot a couple hundred rounds a month the HP22a will last longer as long as the main spring is replaced every 500ish rounds. I've got both in 22 and the HP22a has a slight edge on quality.

5. travis9mm

travis9mm Member

I carry a C9 for my conceal but took 500 rnds of .22 in on trade and nothing to shoot it out of. I like the Jimenez because it kiiiiiinda like a 1911. But ive stumbled upon a star .45 for $400 and really like em.... what to do what to do

6. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Member

Star PD 45s fit my hand better than any other 1911 style pistol. If you do buy it, be sure to change out the recoil buffer and get some upgraded recoil/ firing pin springs from Wolf springs. Can't shoot them a lot though, Aluminum frames wear out quick.

7. panoz77

panoz77 Member

$400 for a star is too much IMO, there are TONS of budget 9mm out there in the $300 range and several real 1911's in the $400 range.

8. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    What he said. I can buy a Llama in .45 or 9mm, both are under $385 each. Sitting right next to $1000 Sigs and $600 Glocks, it's not a budget store. The Rock Island guns are $400 or so, new.

Oh, and if you are looking at a Jiminez...why not a Hi Point?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  9. travis9mm

travis9mm Member

For some reason I like the look of the Jimenez. It somewhat resembles a 1911 but dirt cheap. Ive got a c9 but im just not in love with the look, I love the gun but astheticly speaking its a little ugly. Now, I know hardly anyone ever sees it but, people spend thousands to make a gun look cool or buy a "pretty" gun. My dream gun is an original M1911 but cant get past the sticker shock. Ive really fallen for the star but theres only one local. And please excuse me when I say that the tactical 1911 and gussied up 1911 are fugly... I like the plain Jane ol' 1911. Kinda like a star. No frills just a simple gun

10. juski_w

juski_w Member

Have you seen th u tube video showing issues with the Jiminez safety?

Sent from my iPad using Hi-Point Forum

11. panoz77

panoz77 Member

12. travis9mm

travis9mm Member

I have a hi point. A C9. I like the look of the Jimenez. I like my C9 but I like the look of the Jimenez better

13. panoz77

panoz77 Member

Well, if you're buying a gun based on looks, you're buying for the wrong reason, especially when it is a gun with a fairly poor reputation for quality and function. Like I said, there are tons of QUALITY options that look good that are reasonable.

http://www.jgsales.com/arcus-98dac-...pact-size,-two-tone-finish,-new.-p-65239.html

http://www.jgsales.com/canik-55-tp-9-9mm-semi-auto-pistol,-chrome,-by-cai,-new.-sale-p-56948.html

http://www.jgsales.com/zastava-yugo...pistol,-9mm,-blued,-by-cai,-new.-p-59547.html

14. travis9mm

travis9mm Member

Last I checked hi point was **** talked into the ground. I bought one. And.... I love it... so people telling me not to because its crap well then I should toss my C9 into the trash.... no one has given examples as to why they are bad, cept on the safty problem. You can look up problems with anything. So if anyone owns one and would like to tell me what they think thatd be awesome. Im not 100% on them but they are a lower price starter gun. I cant afford $400+ on something that is exactly what I want but $200 for something close is good.

15. Travis,
    I agree with you 100% the Jimenez JA-9 is a good looking gun, and when you put it next to a Hi-Point C9 it's no contest whatsoever; the Jimenez wins going away.

I own a Jimenez JA-9 and a Jennings J-Nine (which was the predecessor to the JA-9). The ONLY reason I own them is because I got them VERY cheap. I did not set my sights on buying them, they just happened to become available to me. I'm a moderator on the Bryco-Jennings-Jimenezarms forum, and I can tell you for certain that these pistols are prone to developing frame cracks over time and some of the pictures of cracked JA-9 frames on the forum are of my very own pistols. [​IMG]

Now, I also own a Hi-Point C9 and yup, it is uglier than any Jimenez on it's worst ever bad hair day. My C9 is far and away a better gun than the Jimenez JA-9, hands down. When I go to the range with the Jimenez, I take my C9 too. The C9 eats every type of ammo I feed it without a hitch. The Jimenez, eh, not so much.

I like good looking guns too, so I fully understand where you are coming from. If you want flashy pretty- get yourself a Jimenez, no skin off my back and it's your money. A year or so down the road, you may wish you hadn't. Or maybe not.

My advice: If you want a good looking gun that is uber reliable gun, save a little extra coin and then go get yourself something like a used Browning Hi-Power or an FEG cloned Hi-Power. Sexy as all get out and they are built to last. Just my opinion. (I should mention that I own a Browning Hi-Power too)

Good luck - whichever way you go. :cool:

16. travis9mm

travis9mm Member

Thanks! I kinda like the FEG. Ive also looked up the zastava m88a and really like that as well.

17. panoz77

panoz77 Member

Then you should get one, I'm sure you will love the JA9 and it will serve you for many years to come. You're right, most of these problems on the internet are just from people who don't own one or never shot one, and I think most of the pictures of cracked frames are photoshop jobs by bashers who don't want you to know about the secret of how great they actually are.

18. travis9mm

travis9mm Member

Im just sayin, if you look at reviews on hi points there a re a lot of them that are bad. From my past in the restaurant business people will take the time to post a bad review instead of a good one. Of they were satisfied they move on. If it was horrendous then they blast the place and rant on the internet. Im just looking for advice and info from actual owners. Cracking frames is pretty big deal breaker for me

19. panoz77

panoz77 Member

I had referred you to the forum that has all the information you need to make an informed decision. Adam is a mod there and did your homework for you.

20. panoz77

panoz77 Member