Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so as most of you know i work in law enforcment, I am also a proud new father. My wife and i were blessed with a beautiful healthy baby boy back in june. (we were told we would never be able to have children) Anyways my wife works in the mortgage industry which is questionable at best, and my pay is a joke...welcome to michigan. Anyways back on track when i found out my wife was prego I got as giddy as a school girl! I went out and put a 1911, and a 20 ga mossberg 500 on layaway at the local mom and pop candy store for my soon to be born son. It is a great place there layaway program consists of as lon as you pay at least $10.00 a month you can keep making payments untill it is paid for. We3ll in light of our up coming move to Alaska I went and got his toys off of layaway yesterday.

I live out in the sticks were crime just doesnt happen. Or so i thought. I took the pistol inside but left the shotty in the back of my durango. Locked the doors and didnt think twice about it. I get up to get ready for work and go to let the dogs out this is when i see that the back window of my durango is broken out and can you guess whats missing!!!!! :mad:

But wait thats not all i then noticed that the service door on my garage is forced open yup you guessed those little S.O.B.'s cleaned me out of tools and fishing gear. Naturally i call the local police and they finally make it out after almost 2 hours!!! I file a report and those lazy so and so's dont even bother to try and take prints they just said good thing you got insurance huh. YA other then i am now going to have to wait like two months or better to replace my gear. A lot of which is not replaceable like the shotty. My plan was to give it to my son when he got old enough and tell him how i got it on the day i found out we were going to be blessed with a child.

well i guess at least the colt is safe. And i for one will be getting a home video security system when i get to Alaska. I know this is just kinda a rant but god i needed to vent! Thanks for listening and remember as things get worse economy wise crimes will go up so protect your faimly and your investments as the insure companys only give you 50-60% of the actual value of your goods.

Oh ya BTW home owners is saying they wont cover the shotgun as it was in the vehicle. I only have PL and PD with comp on my durango........... :'(

·
Registered
435 Posts
Sorry about your loss dude.I also know where your coming from with the police.Years back I had some things stolen(all on camera),they didn't have time to mess with it.These days there are not many people willing to work for personal gain,they would rather take someone elses,Congrats on the little miracle and good luck on the move.

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
OUCH man!

... my heart goes out to ya.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Dude, i would be doing a little investigating of my own, and when I found out who stole my stuff i would feed it to them. I would keep an eye out at the local pawn shops and see if it turns up, chances are it was stolen by dope heads looking for a way to make a quick doller.

·
Registered
345 Posts
HOLY...CRAP...

:brow: :-[ :mad: :mad: :mad: :cantlook: :cantlook: :cantlook: :wideeyed2: :wideeyed2: :wideeyed2: :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Dude, you are SO covered when you get up here to Alaska...ammo, tools, equipment...I'm gonna personally save up every last scrap of dough I can and start looking in our local shops for stuff...you let me know what all you lost, send me a list, replace what you can, and I'll contribute as much as I can to helping you replenish your coffers...

...as for the folks who did this: if you happen to find your stuff or your perps before you leave there, do one thing for me...

...send me a PM when and if you've found 'em...I can, shall we say, express my opinion to you on what to do from there in a PM...I hope those suckers get caught and serve some serious time in the slammer...but, wait, I'm talking about our current legal system here...might want to place some bets on if justice would really be done...

:sniffles: :rolleyes2: :rolleyes2: :hahanot:

Good luck, dude! Let me know if you need anything at all. I'll do whatever I can.

Jag 8)

·
Si vis pacem para bellum
548 Posts
I live in a small town in NW Iowa of about 200 people. We had 3 break in a year ago with 2 more attempted. One was a 1000 ft north of me at the sherriffs personal bodyshop. They got over a thousand dollars worth of tools in that break in. Of course the sheriff had a 2 grand deductable so his loss was completely out of pocket. The skum bags were never caught. Before that there was a kidnapping and assalt, and a second assult at another residence. Thats when I started purchasing some protection.

·
Registered
467 Posts
That really sucks!!! :mad:

However, it does drive home the point that there is no place where "crime just doesn't happen". Does anyone really believe crooks can't/won't drive to a nice quiet part of town? Or go where they can find more goodies to steal?

Especially with the economy tanking, we must all be constantly vigilant as there are always those who, either out of contempt or desperation, will take advantage at take what isn't theirs.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Bad news is you prolly know who ripped you off. I mean you just happen to get your car broken into THE night you have the shottie in the back?? :brow:. Think about who knew it would be there. Make blind accusations, and look at peoples faces it shouldnt be too hard to figure out who did it and get your stuff back.

Then again my friends and family are all tweekers, criminals, thieves and , general scum. Its easey for me to round up the ussual suspects when something comes up missing. You may have slicker boogers to pick.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
AS for the cops not trying to lift prints, they did you a favor... honestly. There's no guarantee that they will find a liftable print, and then that print may be yours, or you wive's, or your buddy who helps you do brakes in your garage... not to mention: COPS DO NOT CLEAN UP AFTER DUSTING FOR PRINTS. That's right, They leave your stuff, car seat, car exterior, door, window, whatever they dust is left with a filmy black powder. It's a joke. Printing isn't what it's cracked up to be... damn that CSI show. In a vehicle, if that dust gets on the seat; You will get black dust all over your clothes, and it doesn't like to come out. So... Just make sure they place the shotty's make, model, caliber, and serial number on NCIC as a stolen weapon. That way if it ever comes up at a pawn shop, gun shop, or a cop runs the serial during a traffic stop... you'll know about it. Trust me.

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess i should have clarified I am a LEO just in a diffrent county then were i reside that was why i got so upset by their shall we say un-profesional behavior. We have to dust for prints anytime a theft involves a fire arm thats our policy i need to check and see just what theirs is.......Oh by the way JAG what town do you live in and or by? I am moving to North Pole (near fairbanks for the rest of you)...lol.......This is great my wife and i have been very concerned about moving that far and not knowing anybody......Besides if you are not to far away i will need help setting up the reloading room and making sure all my weapons still ehh work properly when i get there ya thats it ....LOL!!

Bit of news still no leads as to who did this but i am working on it myself. If i find em there will be a bit of hell to pay the biggest deal is that it was my sons shotty.........

·
Banned
1,412 Posts
That sucks big time. Your not too far from me if I am remembering correctly. I'm in Burton. I am getting to the point where I don't want to leave the house some days. I see people walking the neighborhood at all hours of the day and night. I don't recognize most of them. I have a detached garage so it is hard to keep track of it. Fortunately my neighbor has a couple of effective watch dogs that go on alert anytime anyone (including me) goes near the garage.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
It's getting weird around here too ... lots of people with too much time on there hands!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Getting bad everywhere man.....getting a security setup for the house and just keeping everything locked up. All you can do really. And I know what you mean about cops not doing their job. I'm lucky enough to have the Sheriff out in the county; when I lived in the city, I never once got police contact when I called. Drug deals, people getting shot, music so loud it rattles your teeth, at 3 freaking AM. Yeah, I couldn't move fast enough.

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thats part of the reason i am going to Alaska. Getting out of the LEO game and away from the crime back to a small town and simple way of life were Sam Colt's laws still reighns supreme.............

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Getting bad everywhere man.....getting a security setup for the house and just keeping everything locked up. All you can do really. And I know what you mean about cops not doing their job. I'm lucky enough to have the Sheriff out in the county; when I lived in the city, I never once got police contact when I called. Drug deals, people getting shot, music so loud it rattles your teeth, at 3 freaking AM. Yeah, I couldn't move fast enough.
Actually, in some of the larger cities the crime rate is going DOWN. Then again, there has been a HUGE upsurge in Meth usage and production in the more rural portions of the US (you see it alot in the fringe towns in the Phoenix Metro area like Apache Junction and West Glendale). Granted, my corner of the city is REAL getto and has suffered a ton from the housing crash, but other parts of the city have been doing very well. A friend of mine in Boston has told me that he's actually noticed the South Side cleaning up quite a bit!

I think it's when the economy gets bad, there are more job options in the larger cities than in the more rural portions that depend on one or two major employers for a majority of the workforce (and when I mean larger city, I mean over 1 million or so)

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Actually, in some of the larger cities the crime rate is going DOWN. Then again, there has been a HUGE upsurge in Meth usage and production in the more rural portions of the US (you see it alot in the fringe towns in the Phoenix Metro area like Apache Junction and West Glendale). Granted, my corner of the city is REAL getto and has suffered a ton from the housing crash, but other parts of the city have been doing very well. A friend of mine in Boston has told me that he's actually noticed the South Side cleaning up quite a bit!

I think it's when the economy gets bad, there are more job options in the larger cities than in the more rural portions that depend on one or two major employers for a majority of the workforce (and when I mean larger city, I mean over 1 million or so)
I have to agree with ya i think that is a pretty good way of putting it. I think that so many more people are out of work and when it comes down to it they still need to feed their familys this incident however i believe was carried out by young kids I have a nice lead on it i will let you all know more as it progresses......... :devilsidesmile:

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
HA HA HA!!!

I have a great lead i passed on to the locals about the shotty i will let you know how it turns out

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Be sure to keep us in the loop. I'd love to hear the great news that they found your shottie and other stuff too. Once something gets stolen, it's extremely hard to get it back, but my fingers are crossed for you man.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts