XD's on the way!

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Uraijit, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

I placed an order on Tuesday afternoon for 2 service model XD-40s.

I was browsing the XDtalk website, and discovered that some folks are doing a "Grip Chop". Giving you the best of both worlds (compact grip size, with 4" barrel). I'm seriously considering it, but I don't know if I'll be able to use it for IDPA competition... Anyway, I borrowed these photos from this thread:
    http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58165&highlight=grip+chop

I'd just give you the link, but he didn't imbed the photos, so I'm gonna imbed them here.

EDIT: I'm adding a stock photo for reference before the chop.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. As an XD owner, I certainly have read about these and they look cool. But, I'm not totally sure what one gains by putting an SC grip on a longer barrel. I'm assuming longer barrel = more accurate. But I'm also assuming accuracy, especially in multiple round shooting, is a function of grip as well. And if it's for competition where accuracy counts, not conceal, then........ well you get the point.

I think the gun looks great and congrats on your buys! I love my XD and I'm sure you will too. I wouldn't spend a nickel on chopping, but that's just me!

3. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

That's the beauty of the grip extension! ;)

It really just comes down to having options. If you want the longer grip, you can have it. If you want it more concealable, you can use the short mags. You can also use the shorter mags with the pinky extension to get the best of both worlds. All the while having the better sight geometry, and accuracy of a longer barrel.

The XD 45 is available in this configuration from the factory. I really wish the .40 was as well.

4. Ari

Ari Guest

Congrats on the guns. I think they are very fine weapons.