Yay for smoking deals

Discussion in 'The Tackle Box' started by Pistolkitty, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Pistolkitty

Pistolkitty Supporting Member

Got me a pair of herters hip waders at cabelas today on clearance for 15 bucks down from 75.
    I am determined to do more fly fishing this year.
    I should be tying flies right now, not staring at hpff on my phone.

greg_r and Jhow79 like this.
  2. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

My fly tying gear is still boxed up in the garage. Haven't touched it in years.

3. Pistolkitty

I just got mine out of storage a month ago and I am RUSTY! Had to pull up some YouTube videos. Back when I was tying a lot that wasn't even an option. Or at least I didn't know about YouTube.

4. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

I learned how to tie as a kid. Checked books out of the library to learn new techniques. Used to practice casting in the front yard with my sister's hula hoops for targets.

Pistolkitty likes this.
  5. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

Ahhh, Herters. I remember it well when they were in business. Long before Cabelas bought their trademark name. I lived in Southern Minnesota for a few years. I used to drive over to Waseca once a month. Building after building full of every thing imaginable it seemed. Lot of it just piled in bins.
    I just saw my old fly tying vice in a box in the garage the other day. Used to have all kinds of different feathers and wrap. May still be some of it around after 50 years. Have lead head jig molds etc still. Even a few Herters .270, .243, and 38 bullets out there.
    There has never been a place like Herters since they sold out and retired.
    It was a real good time going to that place!!!

Pistolkitty likes this.
  6. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

I love to fly fish. Do some trout, but I really like fly fishing for big bull gills and bass.

I generally use a 5 weight for trout and gills, 7 weight for bass. I'm set with flies. I tie them from the size of ants to mice. My flies are not that pretty, but they catch fish!

Pistolkitty likes this.
  7. Pistolkitty

Well, that's what counts! Gotta tie the flies to attract the fish, not the fisherman!

8. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

:pics:

Dad_Roman likes this.
  9. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

I thought this was about tobacco. Everyone knows tobacco will cause your children to be born naked............ :stir:

10. Pistolkitty

Well I did take a pic, but its not one I can or will post here....;)

I'll have to take another.

11. This one?
    PK fishing with new waders.jpg

Google-fu is strong today...
    Holy Schnikies there's a pant load of pics out there of scantily clad women in waders!
    Didn't know it was a "thing" but apparently it is.
    Almost tempts me to take up fishing again...

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    Rerun and Pistolkitty like this.
  12. Pistolkitty

Something like that....

13. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I enjoy wading with a stick....some people call it fishing, and while I really don't care if I get any fish, I do enjoy tossing a line and getting a fish to play, besides, people think it's odd for a grown man to wade around in in creeks without a pole....so I carry one.:rolleyes:

More than once, I've gotten some pretty funny looks through the polarized shades as I wander past some guy in $3000 worth of Orvis gear with his solid platinum large arbor reel on a St. Croix or Sage rod, because I wear board shorts and light duty diving boots, no waders no matter how cold the water is. Cheap Walmart vest, $25 Shakespeare or Eagle Claw pole with the $20 no name, no drag reel, and a boony hat. Sometimes, I swim across a pool with the whole rig on. Side stroke, it's hard to swim any other way with a pole in one hand.;)

I don't know the name of any of my flies, I make my leaders out of good old 4# Trilene with a bit of flourocarbon tippet if the water is super clear, using some knot I don't remember the name of; I know the green line is a weight forward and the yellow one is double taper line of some weight between 4 and 8, and that's about it.

Yep...I enjoy wading...I mean, fishing.:)

But oddly...I have NEVER seen a fisherman that looked like that one above...

Rerun and Pistolkitty like this.
  14. Pistolkitty

I think I like you, ajole.....

ajole likes this.
  15. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

16. moona11

Ha ha ha aha :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Pistolkitty likes this.
  17. moona11

here is his wife 20170728_193611.jpg

OldOutlaw and EvilE424 like this.
  18. Pistolkitty

Oh in the land of the celestials, no less?

moona11 likes this.
  19. Pistolkitty

And also, lighten up moonz, its the intervene of hpff, nationwide, not Craigslist or plenty of fish....

moona11 likes this.