Yay! Reloading has its own zone!

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by bobotech, Feb 14, 2008.

1. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

2. MalcolmStone

MalcolmStone Member

And about time too.

I remember back on the old site someone had posted some reloading data that quickly got deleted. Don't remember what it was for, but I was really interested in that work-up. :)

Tom

3. I'm happy with the change. I don't reload yet and am still thinking and learning about it. So this works great for me.

4. MalcolmStone

MalcolmStone Member

Actually, I just read that we're NOT suppose to post load data on here, which pretty much makes having a 'reloading' section kinda useless.

What a shame.

Tom

5. Yeah it would be nice if we could post load data. I think that if there was a disclaimer that you had to click to access this part of the forum, that should absolve the forum operators from any liability> We all are big boys here and know if we if we put 79 grs of powder brand x in in a 45 case it will blow up.

6. Too many issues with posting load data. One slip of a finger and you can be saying to someone "use 45 grains of Unique for your 45acp" and there might be a issue with that.

I'm just saying that I agree that posting of load data can be dangerous.

7. If you are stupid enough and by some miracle can get 45 grains of unique in a case, then i think you deserve to get a finger blown off. Its kid of gods way of weeding out the stupid.

8. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

You are absolutely correct, posting load data in open forum is asking for trouble... one missed period, a typo, or a missed key could be very very detrimental to the shooter and/or firearm. BUT load data in PM's or over the telephone should be ok, just not in open forum.

9. Yeah, that's the jist of the issue guys. If you have a home grown load recipe, don't post it in open forum, but you can send it to someone in a PM, or some other form of communication.

I would hate for someone to get hurt by trying a load that they haven't tested before, and have the data itself be screwed because someone had a typo.

10. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

Why you crying?! This is Good News! Those BETTER be tears of happiness!!! :lol:

11. Excellent move on behalf of the forum. ;)

wizard93

12. MalcolmStone

MalcolmStone Member

I just wonder how it is that forums like The High Road and others, which are also open forums, will allow members to post load data but not this forum?

I think we're as responsible a forum as all those others and don't see why not. Am I missing something?

Not to knock the forum or anything, but I'm really not planning on hanging out in our reloading section. I'm often looking for new load data with different powders and I'm obviously not going to find it here.

So until things change about load data, I'll see you all on THR for reloading tips/help.

Tom

13. Although we can PM the load data to each other, it does make me wonder why load data cannot be posted in open forum like the other forums.

Does that include scanning a page from a reloading manual and posting the image of it with a message? That wouldn't be like actually typing the load data out by hand. Just a thought (or perhaps idea). I'm probably going to get PM'ed by the admin for this one. :shock:

I will respect the rules of the admin either way they decide. I do encourage safe handloading practices for everybody. Reloading takes responsibility and common sense. Anytime I look for load data on the internet, I'm always double-checking the data against one of several manuals I have on hand. I never take anyone's word for granted. If data for a certain load doesn't sound right, chances are it isn't, and I avoid that particular data and the source from then on.

When I get the chance, I'm going to post some rudimentary reloading rules and hopefully we can get them "stickied" so everyone can give them a look-over.

wizard93

14. Ya know, wizard93, that's a great question. I will put it out there to the other Mods/Admins and see what the consensus is on "Published" load data. Since it's already published, how is that a liability of HPFF? I will ask the question, but whatever the other mods/admins decide, that's what we'll go with. I only have 1 vote, so be that what it may be.

15. Good timing, I just got my Lee 50th Anniversary kit (I'm starting simple), dies and some brass and bullets this afternoon.

Gonna shop local for the powder and primers, unless I can't find what I need. Now I just need some recip.... load data :)

16. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

What are you going to be loading, and what powders are you interested in? You can generally find good info on the powder manufacturers' sites to get you started. Then you can play around with different loads until you find what works best for you.

17. If you have not done this already this is my .02....

Get yourself a couple reloading manuals.. Then you can cross refrence the loads there. Go with the starting loads then go up from there to find out what is best used in your Rifle/Handgun. What works for one firearm might be too "hot" for yours!!! Also take whatever you find on the internet (especially max load data) for what it is. It is on the NET!!! I have the Lee manual and the Hordany manual right now and will most likely get the speer manual as well.......

Good luck with the reloads and be safe!!!!

18. I've heard this advice before and will be following it :)

I've got (and read) the ABC's of Reloading as I hear it's the best book for a noob. I'll be ordering the Lee Modern Reloading book (Lee press, so it makes sense) and then I figure I'll find a calibre specific manual.

I plan to load very few max loads. Mostly I plan to churn out FMJ 55gr (or whatever suits my rifle best) plinking ammo and the odd batch of hotter loaded soft-points/fancy hunting bullets for hunting or HD.

I'm very attached to my various body parts, so I plan to be anal as can be for this entire process :)