Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok My last post asked what gun I should probally take to go coyote hunting with my best friend this weekend, it is still a toss up between the 10/22 and the remington bolt .22 but thats what I have decidel to use because the 995's red dot doesnt allow me to feel comfortable with shot placement I dont know if its me or the scope but if i move my head around then the POI if different... Alot of people chimed in and I really appreciate all the positive encouragement and advice. This is my question...because I have deer hunted but never coyote hunted before...I am going to use a high velocity .22 round at less than 50 yards probally less than 35...I plan to aim below the ear...a head shot...would you experienced yote hunters chime in and tell me if thats the best bet with a 22...my buddy is carrying an ar in 223 but we are gonna split the action we plan to lure them in close and tan the cape when done. the 995,and shotgun are now definatly out of the question.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Be sure to hone that rifle in at your target yardage before you go hunting. Knowing how she reacts/shoots could be the difference between a pelt on the wall and an injured, desperate coyote attacking a child.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Most injured desperate coyotes aren't going to attack children. If you are hunting close enough to where children are with a .223 you shouldn't be hunting period. How ever when I go hunting usually the coyotes come in quick. I like hiding in the brush which can make a distant shot hard. I don't know where you are hunting or what the terrain is like... but be prepared for them to be so hot and hungry they will almost run over the top of you. Don't worry to much tho. If that happens you won't be the only one to shat yourself... They are just as terrified of you as you are of them. I'd still take a pistol or shot gun just in case one is close enough.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Most injured desperate coyotes aren't going to attack children.
Well, I respectfully disagree. If a Coyote can't hunt it's typical game because of a wound, it's going after different, slower game. Children, pets, etc.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep I totally understand and I am very comfortable shooting the 10/22. I dont plan on injuring the dog. and if multiple shots are to be taken they will. I wouldnt want ANYTHING to suffer especially from me hurting it. I Have shot a few squirrel and am used to judging distance and movement just never shot a yote...They are getting so big here(40+ pounds) they are actually killing young livestock and are more than just a nusiance. I was just looking for insight as to where shot placement should be some people said the neck...Wondering why... I plan on a one shot kill to the head just below the ear unless someone thinks of a better shot for a .22

·
You know who I am
9,304 Posts
From what I've heard/seen a just below the ear shot is the best way. Neck shots will probably kill em, but I doubt it would be anywhere near an instant death, probably more like suffocating or bleeding to death, which is pretty cruel. If you aim for the area right behind the eye sockets that should do the deed as well, both pretty critical areas of the brain.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Definitely, as mentioned above, if you don't usu. use high vel. stuff in your 22, then make sure you resight, the stuff has a tendency to walk the paper if it's not what you've sighted in for. But it's a great choice, have personally used the cci stingers and velocitors in 10/22. Just know that at extreme ranges out to about 100 yds (and I know it's not your intended shot) the hollow-pts tend to expand too fast and not penetrate deep enough on a routine enough basis. (This has only mostly applied to the bigger animals in the past and even complaints I've heard for head shots on hogs)

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
YES.....I did...No luck! didnt even see any wildlife for that matter...thats how it usually works out for me and phillip. But we got a sweet set of varmit calls now....Gonna try again soon. We blew the heck out of some beer cans though! Its odd when your deer hunting or just out shooting cans or driving through you see yote's, deer, hogs and then when you get all camo'd up, smooth talked the wife, and got your mags loaded and are ready to hunt you dont see ANYTHING :cantlook:. Oh well there is always next weekend...

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Best bet with a 22 LR for yotes is DON'T USE IT. If ya need to use a 22 use the 22WMR . they show up fast and are gone as quickly .More times than not precise shot placement, like behind the ear or what ever is never gonna have time to happen. They make reg yote loads for 12Ga shotguns that work real well in fast and furious action mode..---RR--

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
i hope ya have better luck next time. Sounds like you are set-up right & well-planned.

I agree with rimfire about the shottie. Even a good turkey load works fine. Granted you plan to tan the hide, but a needle & thread can fix a few shot holes no problem.

But if your are anxious to try the .22 have at it with that shot below the ear, sounds like you are pretty familiar with your rifle and can acquire & fire pretty quick? Likely the fella who was taking about neck shots was using ballistic tips. I tanned one last winter that a friend shot in the neck... i could barely find the bullet entry & there was no exit - that baby turned things to much & dropped it tumbling in his tracks (as the story was told). he was using .223, but i hear similar stories with tipped .17HMR.

get practiced at "smooth talking" the wife, cuz you'll be addicted soon!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts