Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I wanna learn about firearms and what I need to know. I have never shot a gun but also tired of hearing my S.O.S telling me I need to learn more and what to do. So can I get a class lesson 101? I am so lost in these threads. I wouldn't know where to begin. lol. anyone? you make fun of me (you know who you are!) then you force me to Nanner kick you! lol

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Mornin nanner
What are you shootin? where you from/at?? Where would you like to start??? There is enough Boys here to help ya..

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
May I welcome you to HPFF nanner!!!!

In order to assist you in a more efficient manner, some demographical information would help us make suggestions. Approximate age ;) *actually the most important tidbit right there, not trying to get you to divulge anything you don't want to.* medical condition *if you have arthritis, that'd be good to know as we can recommend a smaller gun with less recoil* body type/size so we can recommend the best, most affordable, comfortable shooting gun that you can physically handle.

So, again let me welcome you to the forum. Once we get a bit more information about you, I am sure the guys and gals here *Pigtails_of_Doom :D* will have more suggestions for guns than you can look through in a day.

:welcome:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok first off. I'm from around the Fort Smith Arkansas area and I am 30 years of age. 2nd off, a smaller gun might be better. 3rd off, well... I haven't a gun atm but considering my current situation. I am in need to get one for safety. So... hmm I just have never thought of even getting a gun. I also have kids, so on their safety I need to look at something that is safe. Of course, it will be kept up in a lock box, I am pretty sure of that. Hmmm. Do I sound lost enough? lol ohhh I do have some arthritis going on in ma body.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Yeah, pretty much.... Why don't you try some of those demograpical questions and we'll just offer suggestions from there?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The first thing you should do is find a gun store ,go there and hold as many as you can. this will give a feel for what feels good in your hands(ie size, weight)
There should be a gun range somewhere near you that sell weapons, and some of these store/ranges rent guns so you can try it befor you buy it :welcome:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh ok. Now that I didn't know. Thank you for that idea. I think next week that will be on my agenda. Thanks

I do need it for self defense against a big old drunk fatbutt soon to be ex lol. I do need a hand gun.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Welcome!

From this point on, the reason you need a gun is for self defense - period. No more of answer is needed. You'd be surprised who reads these threads.

While at the gun store, ask for closest gun club or range. Ask where you can get training on safety, basic operation. Find where you can rent a gun first, with an instructor, to see what shooting is all about. Find out about NRA basic course, AND the home protection course. Take them.

Do all that, and you're taking the best steps to becoming a responsible citizen, taking responsibility for your own and your family's safety.

Well done! And welcome again.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Lots of good info to learn here. The above members have all given you great advice. Just ask specific questions and you'll get answers.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
:welcome: nanner

Lots to see, do and learn around here and plenty of folks to answear all your hipoint questions. Enjoy :rolleyes2: :yes: :thinking:
But remember

Hipoint the addiction for which there is no cure :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Jet

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hi Nanner,

My 2 cents worth.... for a first timer I would recommend a revolver instead of a semi-automatic. I got my wife a revolver because I wanted her to be able to aim and pull the trigger. I did not want her to to need to remember to pull the slide back first. In the heat of the moment.... when things are happening so fast, that would be one less thing to remember to do. Once you get real comfortable with shooting, you can always "trade up" to a Hi-point C9 (a 9mm semi-automatic). I feel a .38 or .357 would be good for you. You may want to check those out when you go to the gun shop. LEARN YOUR GUN SAFETY RULES !!!!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
You know, I don't own a revolver and often just plain over look them.

thank for picking up the slack, Buckeye.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok! Not sure but revolver honestly, it will not work in my house. My understanding is, it has no safety lock. I have 3 young and active children lol. I need something with a safety lock but I am still planning on going next week and looking.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Nanner - you're confusing "safety lock" with "safety" perhaps. A safety lock is a device you can attach to the gun so it cannot be fired. The safety - many guns have them, just as many, if not more, do not.

The type of gun you pick has NO bearing on whether you have kids or not. Your kids will never contact the gun, no matter what type it is. So, draw no conclusions now, go get the info and talk to someone 1:1. Come back here and tell us what you learned so we can help, confirm, add to, etc.

·
Registered
773 Posts
HI nanner. Welcome to the forum.

There are revolvers that have keyed safeties on them. Look into the Taurus line of revolvers. Also, I just bought a Smith & Wesson revolver a couple of months ago that also has a key lock to the action. When locked, the trigger and hammer are blocked from moving. That's a nice feature with kids around.

However, why not gunproof your kids. Find an NRA Eddie Eagle class in your area, take your kids with you to the range (if possible) and show them what Mommy's new gun will do to a target. Another option to teach the kids an object lesson, if you have some open space to shoot in, is to take some melons or a pumpkin, put it out about 20 feet and shoot it. When the melon goes away, the kids will see that a gun is not to be played with. My dad did this trick with me. It really brought the point across that guns are for adults and kids under adult supervision only. They are not toys to be played with when Mom and Dad are not around.

Just some thoughts. YMMV

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.