Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting things ready to put a garden in this year. We haven't done that in several years. It will be big enough to supply my family and have a little extra for the folks. We'll eat fresh and then can some to add to our supplies. I feel we will be needing this much sooner than most people care to think.

·
Registered
168 Posts
There are quite a large number of flowers that are edible

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
You can also eat hippies. I look at them as mankind's own veal. They only eat veggies and whole foods and they don't get much exercise. Should be pretty tender.

Thorn 242: Great link. Thanks for sharing that.

·
Banned
1,412 Posts
Don't forget to plant herbs. Think of seasonings you like and plant those. You'll need more than you think. Also, depending on how much room you have, consider forming a coop of sorts. You plant squash while a friend/neighbor plants corn and so on. You'll get a better harvest and more food that you can get planting a little bit of what you want.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm getting things ready to put a garden in this year. We haven't done that in several years. It will be big enough to supply my family and have a little extra for the folks. We'll eat fresh and then can some to add to our supplies. I feel we will be needing this much sooner than most people care to think.
We started last year. I had issues with Stink Bugs hurting the Tomatoes, but other than that, it was great. Just waiting to expand ti this year.

·
Registered
51 Posts
There are quite a large number of flowers that are edible
Actually there are a surprising number besides herbs. Day lilies are one, but many others. People who see flowers growing in your yard won't know they are part of your food supply.

I would recommend everyone learn some wild food plants that grow commonly in your area...a great many are edible and delicious. You don't have to learn all the plants around, just enough of the common ones in your area. You already know many of them: dandelions, pine needles (for tea), acorns (when leached of the bitter tannic acids make wonderful high protein flour), stinging nettles (high energy tea), cattails (called "the supermarket of the swamp because every part of it is edible in one season or another), thistles (they are harmless when boiled), seeds, nuts, rose hips (can be dried for an all-season high vitamin tea), wild fruits, etc., etc., etc. I used to have "wild parties" with a friend on mine from all wild plants and her husband would provide the wild game or fish for the meat course. It was all delicious and fun. In an emergency, I would not have a great variety of food, but I could survive on the plant food at any season, and that's a great feeling to have.

You would need at least one book on edible wild plants, describing how to harvest and prepare them, and at least one very comprehensive wild plant identification book. A good book to begin with for the first type is anything by Euell Gibbons, like "Stalking the Wild Asparagus", but there are many good authors now. Get a book that covers the plants in your area to start with and learn to ID a few of the most common ones a little at a time. Euell Gibbons once came up with a multicourse dinner for many people just from foraging in Central Park in NY, so you don't even need to be out in the wilderness for this.

People can steal your food, but they can't take your knowledge away that easily. And you can use your garden for veggies you can't find in the wild, like tomatoes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.