your at work and the tshtf what will you do

Discussion in 'Survival Zone' started by Kosh4095, Aug 10, 2014.

1. I got this from a survival forum i thought it was a good question :It's the Middle of the day, you are at work and TSHTF / TEOTWAWKI! What next?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the parameters of the SHTF event.

Whatever the event, power is out or will be out soon (within hours) for unknown reasons.

Martial law is imminent (within hours or days),

Roads are currently clear, but this will change within minutes or hours,

It is fairly clear that this may be somewhat long term, at least more than a few days, if not weeks or more

The news is telling people not to panic, and other instructions (stay in your homes, etc.)

You're at work, with no prior warning that this would happen today.
    cell phone down do to overload / or soon will be
    What do you do first?

Where do you go?

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I don't get to do anything for myself. I have to take care of the kids.

We'd probably try to get the buses to come pick them up, send emergency texts to parents saying we were putting kids on buses, or letting the ones that don't take the bus leave.

But chances are we'd gave to keep some in the old gym until things settled down, that's our emergency evacuation place.

Once we got them all handled, it's a two minute drive to my house. I could walk it easy enough.

The thing is...none of those things makes sense here. There are no military bases within 120 miles for martial law, the police aren't a large force, and there are lots of ways around the main roads. Cel phone doesn't matter, my wife works in my building, my son attends there.

3. cktvt

cktvt Member

I'm an engineer at an electric utility. This is now an emergency and I'm on "storm duty". I'm not going anywhere except where I'm ordered to go, and do what I'm ordered to do. But you can bet there's a gun in my car, a cellphone on my hip and money in my pocket. Usually during emergencies I drive my own car, and if not, the gun would go in a pocket. First thing I'd do is call my son's GF who lives at my house, give her some instructions and get a status update while simultaneously checking the internet for news.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  4. Rerun

Rerun Member

I lock my office, make sure everybody is off the property, lock the gates, and return to my apartment adjacent to the office.

If the phones aren't jammed, make calls to three people, make sure all my lights are out and await further developments via radio.

eldar

5. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Interesting scenario. First I would notify compliance and my boss, both are in a different state, that we are shutting down all overseas access along with why we are doing it. As soon as that was done I would start shutting down non-essential networks. While doing that I would call my wife and have her head for home. I would release all my minions along with some advice about fill up across the street and buy water quick. Then I would go home, I have about a 5 minute drive and multiple routes. Once home I would track my wife's location and start getting things ready for possible relocation to the farm. Depends on how things look.

6. bluharley

bluharley Member

this is all assuming you still have power. What if you find out with everyone else at the same time? No electricity, no cell phone, no internet, just gone.

7. cktvt

cktvt Member

Overseas access? Non-essential networks? What do you do for work?

8. Rerun

Rerun Member

The office has a landline, I have two generators, stored gasoline (Hurricane season), stored food and water, and other sundries as needed.

If the phone lines are down, oh well.

We were without power, water for seventeen days following Hurricane Ike.

eldar

9. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    My plan is a bit cleaner than most.
    Basically all I have to do is get home, and everyone is closer than I am.
    Should be an easy trip, but it is about an hour, so expect maybe 2 hours, with minor delays or detours.
    Might get a few items along the way, once I get close. Or do that ASAP, to avoid the rush. But best to do the last minute stuff NOW, and just head home.

10. cktvt

cktvt Member

We have full electric power redundancy where I work - UPS plus diesels which are exercised and checked weekly. We have large propane reserves for heat. I understand that cell service is pretty hard to take down entirely, but I'm no expert on that.

11. gotcox

gotcox Member

For me it is simple. I work from home via the net and i live in BFE. It could be SHTF for weeks before we notice anything out here is wrong. And that is why i live here. :)

12. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    For the peanut gallery,

BFE = Bum F***, Egypt

:D

(before someone has to ask, cktvt!:eek: )

13. cktvt

cktvt Member

Why's everybody lookin' at me like that!? Shoot, I knew that; 'course I did!

14. bluharley

bluharley Member

I live alone, with my cat, don't work anymore. I'd just hunker down for a few days to see if things came back, If it was looking bad, I'd grab a bottle of water and a couple cans of food, my guns and ammo, and head to my sisters, 35 miles. Hope fully have enough gas to get there, and hope they don't shoot at me when I'm walking up their driveway!

15. shepherd321

shepherd321 Supporting Member

16. If not emp/nuke , then we would lock up store and shop and start heading home .If nuke or emp . then I am
    a walking home. 9.8 miles ( i would take the old railroad tracks its been 30years sense skip day in highschool but have walked it ) get home and get the ECM out of the box and fire up the old nissan 4x4
    and stop at bff's a ham and prepper get some news and stuff stored there, go get wife at her work
    and get every one home . were doing bug out bags to get home ,bugging in .

17. Sound's like a great place to work ?:confused:

18. cktvt

cktvt Member

Hey this thread just made me think of something. Would a big EMP event fry the micro-processors in newer cars, thereby disabling the EFI system, throttle by wire, etc? Oh my Kosh, but no seriously...

19. planosteve

That would be pretty much impossible we are N+2 and so are the rings and networks so total loss of phones and internet is almost impossible. The best part is we would see it coming as we monitor and maintain it.

20. planosteve

Depends on the intensity of the pulse and how new the car is. The newer ones can take a direct hit from lightning and survive. Hardened comm centers and fiber optics are not effected. The power grid would take a pretty good hit.