Your ethnic background?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Browning 9 Guy, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Browning 9 Guy

Browning 9 Guy Premium Supporter Member

We all have it. British, African American, French, Slavic, a mixture ...

I'm Old Order Mennonite. Grew up in a Mennonite speaking home with 3 generations in the house. Could write a book about my early childhood. Our public school had first grade classes specifically for Mennonite kids.

What is your heritage? American genealogical records are sometimes slim, but even your grandparents' cities/towns of origin and religious denomination are a strong (emphasize strong) clue.

2. SteveC

SteveC Member

WV
    Seven of my eight great-grandparents were Irish. One was a Scot.

3. bluharley

bluharley Member

Just did an ancestry thing not long ago. Traced us back to 17th century France and Ireland. Parents moved to US from Canada. I'm an American mutt.

4. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Mennonite - We want to be Amish but cars, electricity and plumbing are real hard to say "no" to.

I'm mostly French & Irish. Guess that makes me a frequently rude drunk.

5. Browning 9 Guy

Browning 9 Guy Premium Supporter Member

Thanks Steve

Based on what I see on the net lots of immigrants from the British Isles settled in the Blue Ridge / Appalachian region. Many of those later migrated on to the Deep South which is why folks in that region often identify the UK as their heritage.

6. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

1/4 Croatian, 1/2 Irish-Scottish, 1/4 mutt

7. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

I'm a true American mutt. Birth mother was Blackfoot and British, sperm donor unknown. Adopted and raised by an Irish and German family. My grandparents, on both sides, were all the 1st gen born in the states. My father's parents have ties to one of the Amish communities near Montrose, PA and were actually married by an arrangement made when they were children.

8. I thought. It was because they were all girly during the day?

Just kidding. I went to a brethren church growing up. Many of them were once Mennonite and thus all the jokes.

my great grand pap got on a boat at the age of 5 to come to America. Not sure where they came from.

My mother's side is 100% polish

9. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

Another big time mutt here. Father's side is mostly Slavic. On mom's side, good ol mutt stuff. I believe mostly Italian on grandpa's side and Swedish (?) on grandmas. But a lot of other stuff mixed in.

To be honest, never really cared much. My parents were born and raised here, I was born and raised here, and my kids were born and raised here. We're Muricans. That's all that eally matters to me.

No offense to anyone intended, but I never really understood the desire to worry about where you came from. I mean, if where your ancestors left was so great, why did they leave? At work I deal with a lot of immigrants and none of them say how great their native land is/was.

10. mr_flintstone

mr_flintstone Supporting Member

I've got pretty much the whole UK. My father's side is Scotch-Irish, and my mother's is English and Welsh. I guess that explains why none of get along except when someone outside picks on one of us. Then we're thick as thieves.

11. bluharley

bluharley Member

Curiousity.

12. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

I'm pretty much the same way, but after my MI's I chased down family history trying to find a medical history from my birth parents. It's the only reason I know.

13. bluharley

bluharley Member

I watched an episode of "Who do you think you are?", where the producers trace the ancestry of a celebrity. In this one show, they did Brook Shields. When they looked at her mothers side, it led to a bunch of drunks. Her mother was a drunk, and her mothers mother was a drunk, and they dropped it. But, on her fathers side, they trced him back to royalty in France in the 15th and 16th centuries. And She says "I can FEEL it!". Yea, right, more like your mother than your father!

14. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

Fair enough, nothing wrong with that

I can definitely understand medical history purposes.

15. uavdb

uavdb Member

I have no idea.....woof!

16. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

If you think just in terms of your stomach, crustaceans are some of the most important marine animals to humans. Because of their prevalence as a prey source, they are important to other marine life, too. Here you can learn more about crustaceans.

[​IMG]

Crustaceans include commonly-known marine life such as crabs, lobsters, barnacles and shrimp. These animals are in the Phylum Arthropoda (the same phylum as insects) and Subphylum Crustacea. According to the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County, there are over 52,000 species of crustaceans.

http://marinelife.about.com/od/invertebrates/g/crustaceans.htm

17. panoz77

panoz77 Member

100% Italian heritage.

Wife is 50% Greek, 25% Italian and 25% Irish

18. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Fixed it for ya.

19. My Dad's side is 100% German. Traced back to the 1600s where one of my ancestors was registered a tax collector.
    My Mom's side is mostly German with Norwegian, English, Irish, and Scottish. The family history there is spotty, but I am directly related to Captain Frederick Benteen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_Benteen).

So I'm the spawn of a tax collector and a guy who got Custer's entire detachment killed.
    Yup.

20. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

50% German, 25% Norwegian, the other 25% is a mutt mix of Swedish, Irish, English, french Canadian,???, and Sioux. Moms side of the family roamed a lot and I think they were on the losing end of a bunch of wars lol Dads side is the german