Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanting to get a flashlight for my 995. Looking for some suggestions. Yes, I want the cheapest one that is worth having. I would like a pressure switch and for it to be as bright as possible.

I know there are many options alone on Amazon. So if you know which one you got off there then let let me know. Or any other websites you grabbed one from.

Also where did you mount yours? I suppose for the time being I'll just mount the one I get on the little rail under the barrell but part of me wants it on the side. Of course I'd have to get a side rail for that. Pictures of your set up always welcome because, well, I like seeing peoples gun set ups.

·
Administrator
24,595 Posts
Moved to Optics, sights, lasers, and lights because....... duh.

·
Premium Member
8,529 Posts
I've been using an Ozark Trails 350/70 lumen flashlight for the last two years.
Aluminum body, sealed beam, runs on 4 AA batteries.
Turns dark alleys into brightly lit roads.

Tough construction. Durable.

It cost me <$20.

,eldar

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Moved to Optics, sights, lasers, and lights because....... duh.
Only my second post here. Seen multiple threads under "Hi Point Carbines" about optics and accessories in the title. I figured since they were there and not moved that was where anything regarding the carbine went. After seeing those I didn't think to look for a separate category. If they had not been there and been moved I would have known to look for a separate category because.....duh.

·
Premium Member
35,833 Posts
Only my second post here. Seen multiple threads under "Hi Point Carbines" about optics and accessories in the title. I figured since they were there and not moved that was where anything regarding the carbine went. After seeing those I didn't think to look for a separate category. If they had not been there and been moved I would have known to look for a separate category because.....duh.
Yeah, I would see a thread about optics ON A CARBINE as fitting under the carbine umbrella, vs simply being about lights in general.

But it's good, you'll get some replies.

All I know is, the cheap lights on Amazon with rechargeable batteries included are a crap shoot. I've had three, all different, and one works well, the other two are not reliable. And no, the rankings were not helpful.

·
Administrator
24,595 Posts
Yeah, I would see a thread about optics ON A CARBINE as fitting under the carbine umbrella, vs simply being about lights in general.

But it's good, you'll get some replies.

All I know is, the cheap lights on Amazon with rechargeable batteries included are a crap shoot. I've had three, all different, and one works well, the other two are not reliable. And no, the rankings were not helpful.
You two knuckleheads volunteering to help us cull through the over 100,000 threads and place them in the right sections, or can I get to it in my own time like I have been, all be it slowly, over the past 5 years?

Reactions: Rerun

·
Premium Member
35,833 Posts
You’re doing fine. Just saying....this one makes some sense where it was, and the “duh” comment wasn’t very nice, to a guy that doesn’t know you or this site.

That said...if you need help, I could help. Duh.:D

Reactions: ChickNPicker

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You two knuckleheads volunteering to help us cull through the over 100,000 threads and place them in the right sections, or can I get to it in my own time like I have been, all be it slowly, over the past 5 years?
I will be happy to help, for real.

And I was only being snarky because you were to me with your "because....duh" comment. I know it's hard to keep track of every thread as a moderator. My point was I seen other threads under carbine about optics and didn't even realize there was a separate category for optics/lights based on seeing that so I just posted there. Sure, I could have looked around better but you could have also been a less sarcastic to a new comer. But it's no big deal and we both got our snarky comment in...haha. All's good with me.

·
Administrator
24,595 Posts
I will be happy to help, for real.

And I was only being snarky because you were to me with your "because....duh" comment. I know it's hard to keep track of every thread as a moderator. My point was I seen other threads under carbine about optics and didn't even realize there was a separate category for optics/lights based on seeing that so I just posted there. Sure, I could have looked around better but you could have also been a less sarcastic to a new comer. But it's no big deal and we both got our snarky comment in...haha. All's good with me.
I could have been more polite, but then everybody around here would have thought I was dying of the Covid.

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
The weapon light I use on my AR15 is an older, but I think still available Insight M3. I believe it's 90 lumens. Made to light up a room nicely, but not be blinding to the user behind. Compact. Been in use on my rifle for over 10yrs.

Doesn't use a pressure switch, but has a "rocker" design switch on back where if you use finger to flip one way it's momentary on until released, and goes to off position automatically, then if you flip switch other way it's fully on until tripped to off position. Uses (2) 123 batteries, side x side to keep size down.

They're made for pistols as the rocker switch on back is designed with paddles to straddle each side of trigger guard, but works great if used on a rifle also. Also uses builtin' Weaver/Picatinney mount with finger QR spring loaded rod.

You'd be amazed what lights are available on Amazon and some of the Olights have very good ratings at good price, but many lights require a light mount to attach.

·
Resident PITA
15,961 Posts
Reactions: ajole

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I just said the heck with it and ordered one off of amazon. So far it is working pretty well and plenty bright enough. Supposed to be 1200 lumens but who really knows. It also looks cool on the gun. A little big but still small enough. Is it ok that it goes a little past the end of the barrel? Obviously not in the way of the bullet. If it is not ok then let me know. I can't move it any further back on the little rail. I'd have to jump it down to the hand rail, which I do not want. So I'd have to get a side rail. It came with a light, a pressure switch, a rechargable battery via USB port on the light (cool), and an offset mount, which I have offset to the left side. If it turns out to be junk I can always exchange it to any flashlight that will fit the mount. I used some double sided sticky tape for the pressure switch.

Here are a few photos.
20201214_114151.jpg

20201214_114439.jpg

20201214_114306.jpg

20201214_114421.jpg

·
Premium Member
21,300 Posts
Good enough! If you mount it back where it lights up the front sight that's all you see is the front sight. There are forward grips that have panels that slide out if you want to mount the tape switch on it. If you get a laser they have a second slot for that too. UTG comes to mind. Get one that folds is what I would say. The non folding ones don't always fit in carbine bags.

·
Administrator
24,595 Posts
Muzzle blast/flash may damage your light over time and you'll slowly get carbon buildup on the lens. HP sells a side rail kit.

I threw that junk NC Star light on for reference. That thing didn't last a full mag before it stopped working.

20201214_192044.jpg
20201214_192059.jpg

Reactions: moona11

·
Premium Member
21,300 Posts
I have been running Feyachi, Ulakos on my AR's. Same light really. I don't use the tape switches.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I will get some side rails at some point but I changed it. I had thought that it being right past the barrel may not be the optical set up. It actually does not bother my hand where it is now, like I thought it would, and it creates no shadow. But I still want it on the side at some point because where it is would keep me from being able to prop the gun across something, if need be.

Some more pictures of where it is now.
20201215_113617.jpg

20201215_113747.jpg

20201215_113812.jpg

·
Registered
69 Posts
This is a 4595 but same thing. I use a $40 Feyachi from Amazon with a pressure switch on the vertical grip. Added the full length metal rail to the bottom so it helped .

·
Premium Member
21,300 Posts
This is a 4595 but same thing. I use a $40 Feyachi from Amazon with a pressure switch on the vertical grip. Added the full length metal rail to the bottom so it helped .
That's the VG I referenced as a good choice!

Reactions: mattman17
1 - 20 of 24 Posts