Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although it sounds like many of you carry a handgun when you're out and about, for those of us who don’t, what kind of non-gun weapons do you carry?

Although I’ve got a pretty good collection of handguns, I never carry one on my person. Some of the reasons:

• I don’t currently have a concealed carry permit. I intend to change that soon, but haven't yet.

• In most cases, I don't feel the need. I'm usually armed (see below), I live in Sacramento where although it's a pretty big city it's also pretty non-violent and the “bad” areas are pretty well defined and a long way from where I hang. I also don't close down rough bars like I once did.

• I travel by air fairly often. I know you can jump through some hoops and get your gun through check-through, but it's another big complication added to something that's already too much of a pain.

So anyway, when I leave the house, I carry a knife. In California, any length folder is OK to carry concealed as long as it's closed. To and from work, I carry a Cold Steel Night Force (no blades over 4” allowed in our building), and otherwise I carry a CS Voyager 4” or 6” bowie blade depending on the pants I'm wearing.

I'll often take a pepper gas sprayer too when I'm out in the evenings.

I sometimes swap a good stout hickory cane for the pepper spray if I'm going someplace where I want my weapon “at hand”. I've actively trained with cane and knife (til my training buddy got involved with that “steady job” thing) so I'm pretty sure I could meet most non-gunpowder threats, even against several bad guys.

On plane trips, if I check a bag, I'll pack a folder and can of pepper spray (last time I checked, this was OK as long as you taped it in the ‘safe’ position and sealed it in a plastic bag).

If I'm going with all carry-on, I'll take the cane and a mini-mag light (good kubuton, and even a good flashlight!) right in my pocket.

What do you all think? Given the limits, I think I've done as well as I can. What kinds of non-gun weaponry do you all favor?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like those too, anon, but they're illegal to carry - even in the open - here.

Also, and I realize this is a small point, a baton is a weapon and only a weapon. A knife is a tool, pepper spray is non-leathal and a cane is, well, a cane. I always ask "how would it look in court". Still, it would be nice to carry a good whacker that folded smaller than 3 feet.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
same thing in AZ. I carry a collapsible baton (we call them dick beaters) sometimes, always have a Boker AK47 switchblade and a Cree skull crusher flashlight with 5 modes and memory (that strobe will mess up your eyes big time. Work, i'm always packin, ususally the Sig P250 or the .357, a small Cree 1-CR123 flashlight that will blind you also and the Boker. in the truck, velcro'd down by the 4WD shifter is a stun baton! you push the button and out pops a foot and a half of metal stunner! recharges by trickle in the truck cig lighter! man you push that thing and it pops out like it is ANGRY! then push the discharge button and it sends an arc from the bottom to the top of the baton! also has a built in blinding flashlight and a siren. scares the crap out of me sometimes!!

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Your clear mind, situational awareness, training (yes training is very much a weapon), and a realistic view of the world. Failing those a weapon may not help anyway.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Your clear mind, situational awareness, training (yes training is very much a weapon), and a realistic view of the world. Failing those a weapon may not help anyway.
Since I don't have any training I guess I would have to substitute "training" with something else.

"A clear mind, situational awareness, a realistic view of the world, a quick witt, a closed fist, and a prayer for the best."

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
i always have a blade of one kind or another on me. i dont carry non-lethal stuff like spray or batons because if its to the point im going to fight someone, im going to fight to WIN. non-lethal is for cops and people who cant carry anyhting else.

SW

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
i forgot the cold steel sword canes! i have the city stick type with the triangle blade and then the heavy duty one with the double edged blade. when the hip starts hurtin in the winter i'll take one of these along.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I have a Spyderco on me wherever I go. Black clip models for dark clothes and the stainless clip models for light clothes; makes them blend in better. My favorite knife by far...just extremely easy/fast to open and made of great materials.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Ive seen people invest thousands in gear and buy a $40 book and thats it for training. History is full of well equipped poorly trained dead soldiers.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Gerber paraframe on my pocket and a K-Bar in teh truck

·
Registered
54 Posts
I carry a Victorinox classic. I don't think the ~1.25" blade is going to scare any BGs, but it can do a number on a hunk of cheese and salame :)

·
Registered
799 Posts
In oklahoma it is illegal to carry a weapon of any kind without a permit.
?? You cant carry a pocket knife in OK thats news to me I carry a 4" fixed blade when im working and a 3" folder all the time I have never had a LEO say anything about needing a permit.

I also keep a metal softball bat in my trunk and while it could be called a weapon and could be considered questionable i keep my solfball glove and a softball in the trunk with it that seems to mellow out the LOE's

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
In oklahoma it is illegal to carry a weapon of any kind without a permit.
?? You cant carry a pocket knife in OK thats news to me I carry a 4" fixed blade when im working and a 3" folder all the time I have never had a LEO say anything about needing a permit.

I also keep a metal softball bat in my trunk and while it could be called a weapon and could be considered questionable i keep my solfball glove and a softball in the trunk with it that seems to mellow out the LOE's
Maybe te LEO liked you but I'm almost 100% sure that all of those things are illegal. Most of the laws pertaining to weapons arnt enforced but I had an LEO tell me pocket knives that are fixed blade or can be locked back are illegal, I had one on me while being searched once, they asked me to come out of the house so It wasnt my fault I had it outside, anyway I looked it up on the E-net and almost anything that can b used as a weapon aside from small pocket knive is illedal, If I can find the website......Heres a link. http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=69740

·
Registered
602 Posts
I carry a Gerber 600 Magnum.
I had it sharpened by my friend Arthur, ONCE, 4 years ago. It still hasn't needed sharpening yet.
Course Arthur is some kind of ninja and goes through a "sharpening process" that uses 7 different stones and oil and he kept it for 3 days to get it that sharp, but again. Haven't sharpened it in 4 years and I nick myself regularly forgetting how sharp it is.

There are lots of "weapons" in my house. Several swords. A battleaxe. Those are all zombie gear of course.

What I need to get are some bows, and crossbows.

I need a couple recurve bows, and a solid crossbow.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.