Your thoughts on a Springfield XD9

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Visper, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Visper

Visper AK = Automatic Killer!?! Supporting Member

Some of you may remember I "inherited" a G26 a few months back. Well after many trips to the range I have decided its just not for me... the most annoying part is the "pinky" mag bite I get from the pierce extensions on the mags, and its just not comfortable to shoot without them either.

So this brings me to my question. My FFL has a brand new Springfield XD9 that he is willing to trade me straight up. With case and all the accessories. It may not be the full size I was thinking of getting (the Springfield XDM, 5.25") that I have shot and loved it but for an even trade is it worth it to take the XD9?

He says he's been trying to sell it for awhile now.

Any thoughts or reviews of the XD9 would be extremely helpful.

2. Django

Django Member

I've never owned an XD9 but I've had an XD40sc,XDm .45 3.8 and XDs 9mm. All of them where great guns and very accurate especially the XDm. The trade seems pretty comparable. I personally would hold out for an XDm.

3. Ckm

Ckm Member

Texas
    I have xd .40, XDm .40, xds 9. Like them all. Traded trigger kits to powder river kit and shoot easy.

4. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

Hold out for an XdM!

I love mine. Excellent shooter.

5. Kiln

Kiln Member

I agree. The XDM has a lighter trigger with a shorter reset and higher capacity magazines.

It's a solid gun too. The only thing you should upgrade if you get one is trade out the roll pins with aftermarket solid pins.

6. budman70

budman70 Supporting Member

I have a xds .45 xd40sc xd40 4" xdm 3.8 9mm, love them all. The xdm 3.8 goes well with my 995. I don't notice much if any difference between the xd and the xdm. Just one, the difference in price.

7. Kiln

Kiln Member

Try the triggers side by side. The XD has a heavier trigger with probably a 2/3 longer travel for trigger reset. It is noticeable if you shoot a lot. The XDM has one of the best stock SA striker fired triggers, the XD has about an average trigger.

Other plusses on the XDM are the changeable backstaps, match barrel, and extended controls. The differences are subtle but are noteable when you shoot both often.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  8. shepherd321

shepherd321 Supporting Member

9. Say it ain't so, your selling a G26 becauese it is not comfortable. OK sarcasm off, I don't mind the blockyness of the full size Glocks but would never buy a compact Glock.

Of course the fanbois are raving about how comfortable and low recoil the new G43 has in reviews. Yeaaa right~~I have a bridge for sale in Wilmington also.

XD9 does have a lot of fans, and they are not as fanatical as Glock fans. Honestly I have never seen such cult rantings over a handgun. If people like a gun that is not a Glock, then there must be something very good about that firearm.

10. Visper

Visper AK = Automatic Killer!?! Supporting Member

I really wanted to like it, like most guns. It was inherited so I wanted to give it an honest try, Its just not me...

And like you say the XD's get some fine reviews. I haven't shot the XD only the XDM but really enjoyed it.

It looks like the consensus is to hold out for the XDM, I'll have to think about it over the weekend. Or maybe better, head to my range and see if they have an XD9 I can rent and try it out.

11. lsi1

lsi1 Member

my area xd runs around 450-500 new glock 26 gen 3 500new 425 used. the financial value is close. I think the xd has come down in price since they released the mod2.

The xd itself is a great gun. I have a subcompact that was my families first pistol. its had hundreds of rounds well by now maybe thousands of rounds through it never had any issues that weren't directly traced to user error. most to the grip safety not being depressed fully. I've let it get really really dirty and no troubles.

i actually prefer the standard xd grip to that of the xdm and i think both triggers are in need of work. xdm sights are better and its even bigger and heavier than the xd. both guns are very accurate and nice shooters. I briefly owned an xdm but just went back to the dark side and picked up a glock 17 to be the big brother to my 26.

there are other alternatives to the glock grip than the pearce grip. I've seen people use a 19 mag both with and without the grip sleve adapter.

12. RobbK

RobbK Member

We really need a unlike button.

13. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I really like my XD-SC. Feels a lot like a Glock, with a grip safety, better ergonomics, and lower price.:p

14. shepherd321

So another gun that's almost as good or just like a Glock. My primary winter carry is a gen 2 Glock 19. Summer time an LCP or ppk.

15. monsterdawg

monsterdawg Member

Go shoot it and see how YOU like it compared to other pistols you are interested in. It's the best way to find a pistol for you. If all of us on this forum say we like brand x the best and give a gazillion reasons why, but you can't shoot it well because it isn't comfortable, our opinions do you no good at all.

16. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    No, you missed the important bits.

It's BETTER than a Glock, as it has the added safety, and offers the same or better accuracy, ergonomics, and reliability, but costs less.;)

17. Kiln

Kiln Member

Great post Ajole. I completely agree. Plus the XD is a less generic purchase.

18. shepherd321

The external grip safety is redundant, unnecessary, unneeded, another point of potential failure, ... I'll stop now. Nothing is really better then a gen 3 glock 19 except for a gen 3 glock 23.

19. The grip safety is there to prevent Glock leg. If the gun is inserted in the holster, and say there is a windbreaker string in the way the gun will not go bang if inserted properly. There never is too much safety, the grip safety has been known to work effectively on many different brands of firearms.

IMO Glock leg, or Glock nuts is a potential failure.

20. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Right...redundant. :rolleyes:

Isn't that silly thing in the Glock trigger redundant? I mean, if you keep your finger off the trigger, it's safe, right?...:cool

Tell that to the guys that have NDs or ADs with Glocks when something gets into the trigger guard and over rides the "safe action trigger".:cool:

Frankly, EVERY safety is redundant, as the only real safety is the one between your ears. But, since that isn't always as effective as one would hope, it's nice to have others. To some of us, the grip safety is a very good way to help prevent bad things from happening.