Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Utah has a bill up to make it legal for any gun owner to carry their gun in the car, unlocked and loaded. The current law (as I understand it) is that you have to have a concealed weapons permit to have a loaded gun in the car, and even then it has to be in the glovebox.

I'm still trying to sort out my feelings on this one. I don't like that someone with a CWP is restricted to the glovebox, but I'm not sure I like the idea of loaded guns in the car of someone who couldn't qualify for a CWP. I'm perfectly happy with anyone being able to carry an unloaded firearm in the car, but I am undecided on loaded.

What are your thoughts? How does it work in your state?

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
In SC:
No CWP: In center console, glovebox, or trunk. Can be loaded or unloaded. Also any "covered" (with a lid) container can house a firearm lawfully.
With CWP: On your person.
But never is the firearm allowed to be under your driver's seat, on the dash, between the seat cushions, under the sun visor, or in the "map pocket".

·
Registered
467 Posts
Colorado is pretty loose with respect to guns in cars. But we are also an open carry state.

I start with the thinking of "what right does the government have to prevent someone who can legally own a gun from carrying it in this manner", and go from there...

·
U.S.S.
2,267 Posts
Colorado is pretty loose with respect to guns in cars. But we are also an open carry state.

I start with the thinking of "what right does the government have to prevent someone who can legally own a gun from carrying it in this manner", and go from there...
+1

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I totally agree with the sentiment. I'm not so much asking "Does this fall within the scope of gov't" as "We are already restricted, we are thinking of lifting the restriction, what are the logistical pro's and cons? (As opposed to the political pros and cons)"

The only group that has come out against this so far is the local police, they feel like it adds extra risk to officers during traffic stops. I don't really buy that argument, so I'm looking for any other insight I can find before I write (or call) my representative.

·
U.S.S.
2,267 Posts
The people who would harm the police if they had a gun in the car are the criminals. If they have no qualms about shooting at a cop, I'm pretty sure they aren't obeying the law restricting having a gun in the car now. So the net effect of changing the law would be that law abiding citizens could now carry in their vehicles. I don't feel the police have to be concerned for their safety with this group of people.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Well in NM your vehicle is an extension of your home, so no concealment issues there... put it where you want it. In Arizona it can not be "immediately accessible". Another interpretation I have heard is it needs to be a two step process. For example: holster & glove box, holster & case, cased & glove box... Most officers will ask you if you have any weapons in the vehicle. Just be honest, and you won't have any problems... At least in AZ. Unless the officer is a dill weed.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
In my state, with CWP can carry on person in vehcile. With CWP there is no stipulation as to where in vehicle it may or may not be kept. There is no open carry provision in my state.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I keep a cheap Nagant revolver in a cheap holster on the back of my center console, I can draw it quick. I never let poeple ride in my extended cab so no one ever sees it....the asshole a Green Lantern made a fuss over it though. Little gay emo kid....if I wasnt drunk I would have slapped him.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
No CC in Illinois at all yet. But there is legislation in the state congress to create a CC law here. The thing I thought was strange is that the Illinois Sheriffs Association is almost totally in favor of it. IL is one of the most liberal states in the country, and here this comes. Hope it passes.

·
Registered
71 Posts
No CC in Illinois at all yet. But there is legislation in the state congress to create a CC law here. The thing I thought was strange is that the Illinois Sheriffs Association is almost totally in favor of it. IL is one of the most liberal states in the country, and here this comes. Hope it passes.
I second that. There area actually for different LTC/CCW bills making their way through various avenues.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Utah is a OC state. Ill post up the rules on carrying in vechicle, let me find them. Defin-Unloaded=2 actions. So with that said anyone can carry a fully loaded mag in gun on there dash or seat as long as its not covered or LOADED. Remember 2 action, C9 example mag full and in gun, pull slide (one action) pull trigger is the second action. So personally this law is just clearing up all the little by laws to make it more understandable. Ill check on the cc loaded in glove box only, that doesnt sound right to me. I cc on my side in my vechicle loaded or unloaded depends on which one I feel like taking at the time.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
In Florida, the castle law is also extended to one's vehicle. The weapon must be "encased" which means glove compartment, center counsel, box

or even a holster that has a thumb strap.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Utah code 76-10-505. Carrying loaded firearm in vehicle or on street has an important statement in subsection 1:
(1) Unless otherwise authorized by law, a person may not carry a loaded firearm:
(a) in or on a vehicle;
(b) on any public street; or
(c) in a posted prohibited area.
(2) A violation of this section is a class B misdemeanor.
You have been "authorized by law" as a CFP holder to carry in your vehicle and on a public street, etc. Section 505 allows you to conceal or openly carry where you choose (except prohibited areas previously mentioned). Public land and parks (where you hunt) are not allowed to regulate your methods beyond the laws the legislature has set forth.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
In PA. if you have a permit then carry in a car doesn't matter but without a permit the gun and ammo must be stored seperately in different compartments.

·
Registered
959 Posts
What are your thoughts? How does it work in your state?
"SHall not infringe" is my thought.

I would love for that law to be passed here, as my wife simply will not go through the process to gain her HCP.

In Tennessee, if you're not a permit holder ammo and weapon must be seperate and inaccesible.

I think a Taurus Judge would be the best thing to have when you CC (car carry)

·
Registered
959 Posts
yeah, it's definitely on my list as well. don't own one, just saw a demonstration for it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.