Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My LGS has two Yugo rifles, model number is M4 something or other, I wrote it down but can't find it now, anyway, they're chambered in 8mm Mauser and the owner said they're just a yugo version of the German Mauser.

Anyway, hes selling them both, and 1350 rounds of ammo, for $700. Is this a good deal?

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
I think your talking a Yugo M48 which is a 8mm mauser put together in Yugoslavia at the end of the WWII.
You don't say what shape they are in or is the ammo commercial or military surplus? I bought a Yugo K98 for $159 a few months back.

check out:
http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=82938
For more information on your rifles.

If the ammo is commercial grade 8mm which i doubt, a box of 20 goes for $20-30. A box of Yugo 15 round military surplus goes for $4-5

If its military surplus you have to really clean your rifles because the stuff is corrosive.

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info...-15-round-boxes-/cPath/12_45/products_id/2449

If they are in great shape it's a good deal.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
great shape its a pretty good deal. good to poor condition, meh, maybe. ammo is most of what youre buying. the rifle is only worth a couple hundred at best. i paid 59$ for my M48 bent bolt when they first came in about four years ago.

SW

·
Banned
2,493 Posts
Yugoslavian M48 Mausers are typically better in fit and finish than most late war German Kar98k's. They are on par with any other Mauser out there. I have several of their older brothers, the Yugoslavian M24/47, and you won't find better 8mm surplus rifles for sale. I see them selling everyday for no more than $150 in superb shape. If the rifles are in good shape and the ammo is at least surplus Yugslavian 196gr. FMJ, then the deal is well worth it once you factor in shipping costs and todays ammo market.

·
Premium Member
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright, thanks for the replies guys, then I'll probably put those on lay away after I get my revolver out.

Are they really historically significant? Or would it be ok to put a synthetic stock, scope, and what not on one of the two?

·
Banned
10,897 Posts
I got my Yugo Mauser for 160 bucks, and a tin of 440 rounds for 100 bucks + 20 for shipping, I would have paid 520 for the same deal had I gotten 2 more boxes of ammo. My Mauser is in awesome shape so you know, the barrel shows minor use at best.

·
Banned
2,493 Posts
Are they really historically significant? Or would it be ok to put a synthetic stock, scope, and what not on one of the two?
Why? why would you want to do that? I fail to see the fascination with taking a rifle that is purpose built to be the way it is and immediately wanting screw it up and make it into something it is not. By the time you put the money into it to make it into whatever creation that you deem fit, then you could have just taken the same amount of money that you spent for the gun and accessories, and then buy a purpose built modern rifle that will do a better job and possibly shoot straighter.

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
Why? why would you want to do that? I fail to see the fascination with taking a rifle that is purpose built to be the way it is and immediately wanting screw it up and make it into something it is not. By the time you put the money into it to make it into whatever creation that you deem fit, then you could have just taken the same amount of money that you spent for the gun and accessories, and then buy a purpose built modern rifle that will do a better job and possibly shoot straighter.
I have to agree with Krippp, I'd say just get a Remington 770 or something if you want a modern rifle.

·
Premium Member
36,647 Posts
+1 to leaving the old wood there. The Yugo M48 can be pretty decent, and better than the M48A or whatever else came later. But you spend at least $150 and then another $60 for a stock? Why not just get a Mossberg .30-06 for $250, and never worry about the bore, or the age of the parts, or how to add a scope?
If you want an old Mauser, get and shoot an old Mauser... but don't screw it up with plastic and scopes!
My 2 cents...

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Mitchell's mausers was not selling yugos as germans. they wer selling M98/48's that are infact german rifles. They were just captured, re-marked, and the majority of them were arsenalized. I am sure there is more to the story of the 98/48. Krippp should be able to fill you in. But the fact of the matter is that mitchell's was selling a true german-made rifle.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Now their ads are very deceptive. The one in am handgunner says "buy all of these accessories worth BOOCOOO BUCKs and get the mauser for free". I think it was like $399. But you can buy all of that surplus stuff they show in the ad for aroung 40 bucks for all of it. In fact, alot of the stuff in that it are for mosins. not mausers.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
I put a scout scope on mine because my eyes aren't the best.

You can find them on ebay for $50 including the rear site rail to attach it to without harming the rifle.
I don't think spending $200 for the rifle and scope is a bad way of getting an inexpensive hunting rifle.
Not to mention how many people want to try it at the range.

·
Premium Member
36,647 Posts
That's a decent mod, and doesn't hurt anything. Go for it!
And the plastic stock thing could be OK too, as long as a guy held onto the wood so it could be replaced later if wanted...
but still... :cantlook:

·
Premium Member
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So lemme guess, you guys hate everyone who throws an ATI stock on a mosin.

Anyways, I plan on making this purchase, as soon as I get my S&W 442 out of lay away, I'm going to put that in.

Any marking I should look for? And what if its a M48A or whatever ajole was talking about, are those not worth as much?

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
I think the issue is that if it is a "valuable" sample of any military weapon like a nazi era 98k why buba it with mods.
Its worth more in military dress.
If on the other hand its not special like some of the yugo's and your getting 2, moding the lesser version of the two would not to me be a problem.
Look at the photo on the next mosin hunting thread to see what you can do with an ATI stock and a mosin.
I don't have the money for a Remington 770.
I also didn't know about the $300 Mossberg .30-06. Might have gone that way if I did.
All I can tell you is my mauser was cheap, sure fun to shoot and very accurate!

It's a keeper.

·
Premium Member
36,647 Posts
Basically, there are two groups of folks against changing old guns. Some HATE the idea of even putting plastic NEAR the old guns, some are OK with that, as long as there is no permanent damage and you can restore it back to original. I fall into the latter group. But some folks will cut up the old wood, cut up the metal and do other obscene things to it that make a lot of us cringe. Sort of like seeing a '69 GTO Judge in a demolition derby... :'(
But, if you buy it, it is yours...do what you want. We'll hate you or love you or not even give a care, and life will go on. And our un-changed guns will be worth even more...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.