Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

21 - 40 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I heard that the big plastic rear sight (that's too tall to work with the front site) has something to do with import restrictions. Maybe an adjustable makes it "sporting use" or some such jive.

·
Premium Member
6,810 Posts
I heard that the big plastic rear sight (that's too tall to work with the front site) has something to do with import restrictions. Maybe an adjustable makes it "sporting use" or some such jive.
Totally false from what the importer told me. Many were received with no sights at all. And some of the online sellers say in their add that some pistols may be received with no sight on it. Some sellers seem to be explaining that cheap sight as required for import. If an iron sight is not legal to import, why in hell would all these foreign pistols be coming into this country legally? Turkish guns, Austrian Glocks, and a long list of other pistol brands. There would be none allowed per what you heard. I fully suspect several of the online sellers obtained and put those things on just to increase sales. Heck, I know where you can buy a secondary market magazine and a front sight blade to accommodate those plastic things. If one had to.
Besides, this importer for decades has always kept the cream of the crop and sold the junkers to distributors. An excellent example is the truly original Mosin Sniper rifles with all matching parts and scopes.

·
Premium Member
9,239 Posts
Totally false from what the importer told me. Many were received with no sights at all. And some of the online sellers say in their add that some pistols may be received with no sight on it. Some sellers seem to be explaining that cheap sight as required for import. If an iron sight is not legal to import, why in hell would all these foreign pistols be coming into this country legally? Turkish guns, Austrian Glocks, and a long list of other pistol brands. There would be none allowed per what you heard. I fully suspect several of the online sellers obtained and put those things on just to increase sales. Heck, I know where you can buy a secondary market magazine and a front sight blade to accommodate those plastic things. If one had to.
Besides, this importer for decades has always kept the cream of the crop and sold the junkers to distributors. An excellent example is the truly original Mosin Sniper rifles with all matching parts and scopes.
Take a look at the import points. Then see how your pistol scores. I have been told that the frame makes the difference, but the sight and grips do add 15 points. Regardless, they would not be here if not legal to import. The point system is tough on small pistols chambered for 380acp or smaller.

Reactions: lklawson

·
Registered
928 Posts
I just picked mine up from my FFL. I need to run get some mineral spirits to get the cosmoline off. It appears to be in excellent condition.

·
Premium Member
6,810 Posts
I just picked mine up from my FFL. I need to run get some mineral spirits to get the cosmoline off. It appears to be in excellent condition.
Take a couple of pictures of it for us as soon as you get home.

·
Registered
928 Posts
New forum software doesn't seem to want me to upload any pictures. It cleaned up well. I like it. I can't wait to shoot it. Fortunately, since I already had a P32 when the ammo rush hit, I bought 800 rounds of .32 acp.

·
Administrator
24,477 Posts
New forum software doesn't seem to want me to upload any pictures. It cleaned up well. I like it. I can't wait to shoot it. Fortunately, since I already had a P32 when the ammo rush hit, I bought 800 rounds of .32 acp.
What device are you using?

·
Premium Member
35,751 Posts
Those are clean looking little pistols.
Congrats guys!

Reactions: Greg B.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Yeah, I poured some mineral spirits in a tupperware container enough to cover the parts, and took it apart including taking the grips off off the frame and cleaned with a tooth brush. Magazines too. Mineral spirits just dissolves the cosmoline.
Then I cleaned it again like I would normally clean using Hoppes solvent.
It's in really good condition. I'm glad you posted about getting it at RGuns, I hadn't seen their website. I had seen a number of them on Gunbroker, but didn't like that big rear sight.

·
Premium Member
6,810 Posts
Yeah, I poured some mineral spirits in a tupperware container enough to cover the parts, and took it apart including taking the grips off off the frame and cleaned with a tooth brush. Magazines too. Mineral spirits just dissolves the cosmoline.
Then I cleaned it again like I would normally clean using Hoppes solvent.
It's in really good condition. I'm glad you posted about getting it at RGuns, I hadn't seen their website. I had seen a number of them on Gunbroker, but didn't like that big rear sight.
I try to keep an eye on the rguns site. Not as much as I did back when all the surplus was coming in. They import all their surplus weapons as far as I have known. They keep themselves the best and sell off any questionable stuff. Just like they did here.

·
Registered
928 Posts
@OldOutlaw
I read on another forum if you have a 4 digit number on the bottom of your grip just behind the magazine well it is the month and year the pistol was made. Mine is 0482 for April 1982.

·
Registered
928 Posts
@OldOutlaw
A word to the wise. Make sure you get all of the cosmoline cleaned out around the firing pin. Shot mine today. At first it wouldn't shoot. Looked and had very light strikes on the primers. Took it apart and put some mineral spirits in a cup and dipped the end of the slide with the firing assembly in and then took a hole punch and worked the firing pin in and out to loosen it. Worked on it a while and then it worked fine. Shot 50 rounds of the Prvi Partizan PPU 71 grain. Serbian ammo for a Serbian gun.

·
Premium Member
6,810 Posts
@OldOutlaw
A word to the wise. Make sure you get all of the cosmoline cleaned out around the firing pin. Shot mine today. At first it wouldn't shoot. Looked and had very light strikes on the primers. Took it apart and put some mineral spirits in a cup and dipped the end of the slide with the firing assembly in and then took a hole punch and worked the firing pin in and out to loosen it. Worked on it a while and then it worked fine. Shot 50 rounds of the Prvi Partizan PPU 71 grain. Serbian ammo for a Serbian gun.
I will do the same. Gotta go get some mineral spirits first. Hopefully the lumberyard/hardware store in our little town will have some. Otherwise I will look for some at Menards when I go to the town South of me.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,889 Posts
I will do the same. Gotta go get some mineral spirits first. Hopefully the lumberyard/hardware store in our little town will have some. Otherwise I will look for some at Menards when I go to the town South of me.
Brake cleaner with the plastic spray nozzle will power clean it out.

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Damn you guys....just ordered one. The order says they're either in excellent or un-issued condition!!!

Being I have a Beretta Model 81 I have a few boxes of ammo too. But I went looking and...this ammo thing is BS!!!

If you can find it it's .93/rnd and higher, 2019 prices were .23/rnd for Fiocchi. Serious price gouging going on, or all ammo makers have taken an extended holiday. I can't believe new guns owners are the cause of the ammo situation, however previous gun owners could be buying/hoarding at a serious level.

Back to the M70, I love these old guns made of metal. Size-wise it appears to be close to the Beretta 81:

·
Registered
928 Posts
I just counted and I actually have 950 rounds of .32acp :) and that was after I shot 50 yesterday.

When the corona ammo rush started, when all of the 9mm and other more popular calibers were gone I noticed that there was still .32 available at the normal price, which became relatively less expensive since everything else had gone up so much. I got it because I have a Keltec P32. I have some Privi Partizan, PMC, and Remington. I paid $.34, $.40 and $.51 per round for it. Glad I did now.

21 - 40 of 108 Posts