Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

61 - 80 of 108 Posts

King of you Monkeys
Up down
Picked mine up just after lunch today, very fast service from R Guns!!!

In excellent condition as well. They must have used a grease gun to inject all the cosmoline 馃槵 even the 2 mags are coated. Took me almost 2 hours to clean the gunk off.

Looking at the holster, it looks new-ish, but very "brittle". The flap part of the holster needs to be rebent so it can reach the snap, but the slightest touch causes the outer surface to crack. Not knowing how old the gun or the holster are I don't want to ruin it quite yet. I did however rub a bit of mineral oil on the outer surface and am letting in soak overnight. I used the mineral oil only because that's the first thing that came to mind and I don't feel like going out and buying anything at the moment.
I use saddle soap. But its what I have.

Premium Member
Picked mine up just after lunch today, very fast service from R Guns!!!

In excellent condition as well. They must have used a grease gun to inject all the cosmoline 馃槵 even the 2 mags are coated. Took me almost 2 hours to clean the gunk off.

Looking at the holster, it looks new-ish, but very "brittle". The flap part of the holster needs to be rebent so it can reach the snap, but the slightest touch causes the outer surface to crack. Not knowing how old the gun or the holster are I don't want to ruin it quite yet. I did however rub a bit of mineral oil on the outer surface and am letting in soak overnight. I used the mineral oil only because that's the first thing that came to mind and I don't feel like going out and buying anything at the moment.
Where da pictures? Where? Where? :)
These holsters appear to be in the range of 40-50 years old by the dates on the pistols. Look at the heal of the pistol. Where the mag inserts. Mine is 0378. Meaning made in March of 1978. My holster is brittle also. I suspect to much time and money would be spent to make it usable. Don't know yet.

Premium Member
Mine sez 1077...October 1977??? Not as pristine as ones pictured here but OK by me (I think I put some of the marks on it myself already!):

The trigger is weirdly made. Appears there's an inner piece sandwiched between a thin outer piece of metal, you can just see the silver inner piece and darker outer piece in the photo. The dark outer wrapping has a burred edge to it. Not sure if that'll affect my shooting so I'll probably put a jewelers file to it to remove the razor sharp edge.

I'm not too worried about the holster, doubt I'd use it much anyway. Grips are nice and the controls are easy to get to, may have to get a pair of pinky extensions later, although the floor plate of the mag holds my finger in place enough.

Premium Member
My buddy came by with his M70...his doesn't have the month/year date on the heel of the grip like the others do. His holster was used (had someone's name in the flap) but it was nice, soft leather.

Premium Member
I don't recall for certain, but I seem to think that is an even newer one.

Premium Member
My buddy came by with his M70...his doesn't have the month/year date on the heel of the grip like the others do. His holster was used (had someone's name in the flap) but it was nice, soft leather.
I looked back on a couple of sites. It is said after S/N 90,000 they quit dating them on the pistols.

Premium Member
Well, I ended up with one anyways. This is a second batch the LGS got in. No holster and only one magazine. Still has that hideous rear sight, but itbwas priced at 20 bucks less than the Hi Point JHP in the display case beside it. Still, I was going to pass until they told me that $5 down and I could put it on layaway......hmmmmm.....here, that $35.

I immediately went to the Old Western Scrounger link that was posted earlier in this thread and ordered the magazine and rear sight. Dang (I wanted to say another word) but their shipping and handling is high. In the end I am coming in a couple of dollars less than the first batch would cost me, but I don鈥檛 have a holster.

Reactions: Dubar

Premium Member
Mine sez 1077...October 1977??? Not as pristine as ones pictured here but OK by me (I think I put some of the marks on it myself already!):

View attachment 73100

The trigger is weirdly made. Appears there's an inner piece sandwiched between a thin outer piece of metal, you can just see the silver inner piece and darker outer piece in the photo. The dark outer wrapping has a burred edge to it. Not sure if that'll affect my shooting so I'll probably put a jewelers file to it to remove the razor sharp edge.

I'm not too worried about the holster, doubt I'd use it much anyway. Grips are nice and the controls are easy to get to, may have to get a pair of pinky extensions later, although the floor plate of the mag holds my finger in place enough.
You mention you may have put a few marks on it yourself. I just have to ask how you cleaned the cosmo off and with what? What made the marks you talk about?

King of you Monkeys
Up down
Easiest way I've found to clean cosmo of old qguns and new. Is I use s hair dyer to melt away most of it. Its works great on stocks, inside of barrels and actions ect. After I use mineral spirits for the rest. also brake cleaner without chlorine for the stubborn and hard to reach places. Afterwards I re-oil all metal parts with favorite gun oil. Basals or my own version of red-ed. If its a heavily used daily gun. I use gun and knife wax and grease.

Premium Member
You mention you may have put a few marks on it yourself. I just have to ask how you cleaned the cosmo off and with what? What made the marks you talk about?
Dipped a cloth in mineral spirits and went to work. The only mark I can attribute to myself is the one at the safety from "playing with it".

The slide serrations on mine were sharp (not as sharp as those on my Beretta 81), I took a sharpening stone and toned them down a bit (Dehorned, is that the word?) then applied a dab of cold gun blue, covered up the dehorning and the small scratch around the safety.

Premium Member
Easiest way I've found to clean cosmo of old qguns and new. Is I use s hair dyer to melt away most of it. Its works great on stocks, inside of barrels and actions ect. After I use mineral spirits for the rest. also brake cleaner without chlorine for the stubborn and hard to reach places. Afterwards I re-oil all metal parts with favorite gun oil. Basals or my own version of red-ed. If its a heavily used daily gun. I use gun and knife wax and grease.
I had forgotten about the Simple Green. Then I remembered and used it on my new M70. First, I used the mfgr's breakdown and a youtube video. Then just took all the loose parts and submerged them in straight Simple Green.
That was about at 6 PM. Let just soak over night and with these grips included. The cosmo was literally dissolved. A few places had kind of a few whitish pieces that looked like a grain of rice attached. Swished around in the Simple Green and they fell right off. Dried, then used Brake Cleaner without chlorine in the firing pin channel. When finished I used some Kroil for final finish. May put some gun grease into it if I decide to shoot this one much at all.

Premium Member
OH, and by the way. I just now ordered a 2nd M70 from rguns. Think I will just put one away for the future.
Paid off for me on true Makarov's, so I see the same future for these nice ones.

Premium Member
I got the 2 mag extensions I mentioned above this morning. 15 minutes of trimming the extension grooves with an Xacto blade where it slides onto the mag itself and done:

Comes with a plate with a button on the bottom to replace the OEM plate with the tab. 2 to a pack for $10 off Amazon. Trimming was necessary to get the mag catch to take hold when I inserted the mags. No mods were made to OEM parts so if this fails (and I don't lose anything) I can put it back like original.

Premium Member
Here's how:

I used an Xacto #2 blade to trim the inside top of the plate groove so it would slide easier onto the mag. I ran the blade lightly down the groove maybe 50 times on each side:

Then I used a doubled oved piece of 150 grit sandpaper to smooth things up inside the groove. I also laid the sandpaper flat and sanded the top flat part of the plate to clean things up:

Hope this helps!

Premium Member
@Dubar Ordered earlier today, 150 rounds of Fiocchi at $.70 per round. Sure lower than most who are at $1.30 per round and higher.

Premium Member
@Dubar Ordered earlier today, 150 rounds of Fiocchi at $.70 per round. Sure lower than most who are at $1.30 per round and higher.
And gone! Don't know why I'm up this early, just woke up at 0300 for no reason.

Good catch, Fiocchi is my choice for all caliber if/when I can find it. Never had any issues with it from 22 LR and up.

I think we may have turned the corner (for now) on ammo and gun prices/availability, at least it seems so the past couple of days. About the only ammo I "need" right now is more 7.62x25 Tokarev, but I have enough to shoot my TT33C without the fear of running out.

61 - 80 of 108 Posts