Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
81 - 100 of 138 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,851 Posts
@Dubar The 2nd pistol was shipped from rguns Monday and got here to my FFL Tuesday. Just WOW.

It is soaking in Simple Green right now. I will get a pic of this one when finished cleaning. Definitely another brand new gun. The first one had a SN 73XXX and has a date stamp. This is much newer and SN 319XXX. Possibly late 80's or perhaps newer than that. This one appears to be a deeper darker blue. But, will have to see when cosmo is gone.

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
@Dubar The 2nd pistol was shipped from rguns Monday and got here to my FFL Tuesday. Just WOW.

It is soaking in Simple Green right now. I will get a pic of this one when finished cleaning. Definitely another brand new gun. The first one had a SN 73XXX and has a date stamp. This is much newer and SN 319XXX. Possibly late 80's or perhaps newer than that. This one appears to be a deeper darker blue. But, will have to see when cosmo is gone.
My buddy just left, put the extensions on his mags for him. His SN was also in the 3XXXXX digit range, no date stamp and no crest on the barrel like mine.

·
Premium Member
6,851 Posts
My buddy just left, put the extensions on his mags for him. His SN was also in the 3XXXXX digit range, no date stamp and no crest on the barrel like mine.
These are perhaps the nicest looking little surplus pistols I have seen come in. Not often new unissued ones show up.

·
Premium Member
6,851 Posts
Took my second one out of Simple Green a bit ago. Sprayed it down good inside and out with Kroil. I need to do some detail touch up cleaning yet. But, here is a pic I took. Not very good, but you can see its a really nice one.
20210505_150848.jpg

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,889 Posts
I was at J&G sales today and the had these for $199 with the crap rear sight. The also had the mini mosin. Its a funny little gun from Keystone. I have the original version from Keystone for one of the kids to learn on. But I would of gotten this if I still had a youngster.

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
That would be cool if it had a 5rnd clip and the same type of bolt. Maybe I'll show it to my SIL in case he want to get one for the boyz.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,889 Posts
That would be cool if it had a 5rnd clip and the same type of bolt. Maybe I'll show it to my SIL in case he want to get one for the boyz.
That would be cool. But single shot only. I dont think its even close to being worth the price either. Its a fun looking gun though

·
Premium Member
6,851 Posts
Took an M70 out today. Very heavy trigger pull. Had to use a lot of finger on it to get results I wanted. Splattered a few rounds on the target before I kinda learned it a bit. From then on, it proved it is very accurate if I do my part.
Very, very pleased with it.

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
Took an M70 out today. Very heavy trigger pull. Had to use a lot of finger on it to get results I wanted. Splattered a few rounds on the target before I kinda learned it a bit. From then on, it proved it is very accurate if I do my part.
Very, very pleased with it.
I find my M70 fits my left hand more naturally than my right. Might have to start shooting with my off hand!!!

I have fired mine yet. Which one did you shoot, the first or second one you recently got?

·
Premium Member
6,851 Posts
I find my M70 fits my left hand more naturally than my right. Might have to start shooting with my off hand!!!

I have fired mine yet. Which one did you shoot, the first or second one you recently got?
The first one. Heavy trigger pull made me have to stop and think about how to aim a bit. But, I only want this for close in and personal use when in the car.

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
I was comparing my M70 to my Beretta M81 last night. The M81 has always been difficult to rack the slide and still takes more effort than the M70 (even with grip tape on the M81 slide) even though they are the basically the same size, except for the width being the M70 is 8-shot and M81 is 12-shot. But the M81 trigger is hands down the winner as far as trigger pull goes, light and crisp. I got both for the same price, the M81 two years ago, my only 32ACP pistols.

·
Premium Member
9,331 Posts
Finally took mine to the range. First I had to get all the cosmoline off of it. Did a detail strip because the firing pin channel was packed. I’m sure there would of been light strikes. I’m sure there will be more oozing out of it in the months to come. Seems you never get all of it out!

I also took the monstrosity of a rear sight off and replaced it with a standard rear sight. I picked up 200 rounds of Fioochi 73 grain FMJ when I picked up the pistol. Set 3 boxes back and took one to the range. I fired 4 magazines through the pistol. A total of 33 rounds. (I saved the remainder for carry) they all fired without a bobble one. The pistol shot point of aim, and while I will not be making head shots on squirrels at 20 yards, I was able to keep my Wallyworld spinner target spinning.

And since everybody likes comparisons, I will compare my Zastava to 2 other similar pistols I have. The Browning Black Label 1911-380 and the Beretta M85 Cheetah. Yep, they are both 380’s but the Zastava is the only 32 acp pistol I havevever owned. The Zastava comes in at a solid.....3rd place. The Browning is #1 and the Beretta is #2. The Zastava gets kudos for its single action trigger and its 1911‘esque safety, but the Beretta is just more refined.

·
Premium Member
6,851 Posts
@greg_r
Greg, how did that new rear sight fit your pistol? Did you have to do any filing to get it to fit the dovetail?
I bought two of those OWS mags and have two extra original type rear sights I don't really need. When I was at the range an A Hole member I know told me he had an M70 that had that goofy plastic sight. Wanted to know where I got mine. Told him mine came with the gun. And it did. Didn't tell him though where I got the gun. I told him I had bought an extra rear sight or two and they are gone. Offered me a lousy freaking $10.00 for one. I said you gotta be joking. He didn't care for that. Now, this old guy owns/owned a big insurance company here. His son now runs it.
Seems he bought one for his son also. Whom I don't care for either. Both belong to the same Gun Club as I do and not well liked. Gun snobs with deep pockets. Why they bought a little M70 I have no clue.
So, I just blurted out a number to get him to leave my station and quit bugging me. I told him $100 for a rear sight.
He went off on me a bit and I just grinned. He left red faced pissed at me. Well, he found out my name, probably from the sign in sheet. Wife and I just got home from a drive in the country a few minutes ago. Phone rang. Damn, it was him.
He apologized for going off. Suddenly, my off the cuff $100.00 for one is OK and he will pay me in cash tomorrow at my local convenience store. He wanted both, but I told him I would have to think about it cause then I wouldn't have a spare if I bought another M70 without that rear sight. His son will be with him tomorrow and may want to make me an offer he tells me. WTF?

These sights are virtually UN-obtainable on the net right now. Except for where we bought ours. (y)
So, he is funding several more new mags for me plus the rear sight that comes with each. But, WTH, they have not been exactly friendly to me over several years and can afford what ever they want. I do not feel a bit bad about this deal at all! Actually, based upon those two, it kinda made my day!!!!

·
Premium Member
35,833 Posts
Should have asked for more.... (y)

Reactions: OldOutlaw

·
Premium Member
9,331 Posts
Minor fitting and sealed with red lock tite. Easy job.

I am condemplating more magazines. Normally I like a half dozen or so. Somehow I feel like 2 is enough for this one. Something to do with the magazines not dropping free I think.

Some of the auction sights have them cheaper than OWS though.

·
Premium Member
9,331 Posts
Minor fitting and sealed with red lock tite. Easy job.

I am condemplating more magazines. , but I don’t know. The pistol is designed so you have to strip the mag, so it’s not like it will be the fastest thing on the block. 2 or 3 might just be enough.

And they are cheaper at some auction sites than OWS. OWS looks good until they hit you with their shipping.

81 - 100 of 138 Posts