Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
101 - 120 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I had a chance to shoot this thing, in summary it’s a good shooter. The goofy sight has to be compensated for otherwise it was pretty accurate.

Speaking of goofy sights, you guys will probably laugh at me but it dawned on me they are the same sights on the C9.

·
Premium Member
9,318 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,318 Posts
Mine was only $37.45 with shipping.
Considering $20 for the magazine and sight (which is not bad at all) that’s still over $17 in shipping.

The shipping at OWS is through the roof. I was only luke warm about the Zastava anyway. When it was ordered to me at $179, I remembered your post about the spare magazine and sight. So I bought the pistol, went home and ordered the sight and mag. Had I known the shipping was going to be so high, I would have left the Zastava in the store.

On the plus side, I do like the Zastava pistol better than I thought I would. Actually becoming somewhat fond of it. And I don’t feel like I was reamed too bad seeing that spare mags for the pistol are trending at about $35. But still, with shipping as high as the product itself, you would at least think it deserved a reach-around.

Reactions: moona11

·
Premium Member
6,849 Posts
Considering $20 for the magazine and sight (which is not bad at all) that’s still over $17 in shipping.

The shipping at OWS is through the roof. I was only luke warm about the Zastava anyway. When it was ordered to me at $179, I remembered your post about the spare magazine and sight. So I bought the pistol, went home and ordered the sight and mag. Had I known the shipping was going to be so high, I would have left the Zastava in the store.

On the plus side, I do like the Zastava pistol better than I thought I would. Actually becoming somewhat fond of it. And I don’t feel like I was reamed too bad seeing that spare mags for the pistol are trending at about $35. But still, with shipping as high as the product itself, you would at least think it deserved a reach-around.
The the site showed a flat rate for shipping in checkout.. But, I bought two so it was much better price.

·
Premium Member
1,023 Posts
Only $44 including shipping...........
IM me your snail mail addy and I'll pop one of the pouches to mail you one.

Reactions: greg_r

·
Premium Member
9,318 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
Shot my "Bee" today, but had some issues with it.

I was shooting Fiocchi 73gr, FMJ with round nose. Twice it failed to fire and after recocking the hammer several times with no bang, decided to rack the slide...wouldn't budge!!! After several attempts it finally gave way and I was able to move the slide back and remove the round. Put several rounds thru it afterwards only to have it happen again, this time I could not move the slide at all and couldn't move the hammer either.

Got the range guy to come take a look, he's a big young man and couldn't get it to budge either so he went to get the gunsmith. He came into the range to tell me the gunsmith would be in momentarily. At this point he picked it up again and got the hammer to move, then it fired when he pulled the trigger. This was at the end of my hour anyway so I said thanks (didn't want to drive home with the gun it that state) and packed up.

We were all stumped, but the range guy did mention that he had seen something similar and it was determined that the round that was in the gun when the failure occurred was a shade longer than normal. That got me thinking, is it the gun or the ammo???

My other 32ACP ammo is some Winchester white box, 71gr, FMJ with a blunt nose. Quite a bit shorter than the Fiocchi with the round nose. Plus, looking at both rounds, the extraction groove on the Fiocchi round is much longer than the Winchester groove, and the rim of the casing is thicker on the Fiocchi round:

I haven't taken the pistol apart to clean and inspect, but could the differences in the extraction groove cause the thing to jam up like that and make it so the slide will not move? that's quite a bite of difference between the 2 rounds, maybe the Zastava wasn't designed to use ammo like the Fiocchi.

Last time I shot the Zastava, all I used was the Winchester ammo and did not have the problem.

What ammo you guys using?

Oh...my shooting buddy also shot his "Bee" and was using only Winchester white box ammo, no problems. He shot 50 rnds and I shot less than 30 due to the problems. I did shoot my Beretta Model 81 using the Fiocchi and it shot without issue.

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
OK, Took it apart to clean it and saw nothing wrong, I'm leaning towards the Fiocchi ammo at this point.

·
Premium Member
6,849 Posts
Shot my "Bee" today, but had some issues with it.

I was shooting Fiocchi 73gr, FMJ with round nose. Twice it failed to fire and after recocking the hammer several times with no bang, decided to rack the slide...wouldn't budge!!! After several attempts it finally gave way and I was able to move the slide back and remove the round. Put several rounds thru it afterwards only to have it happen again, this time I could not move the slide at all and couldn't move the hammer either.

Got the range guy to come take a look, he's a big young man and couldn't get it to budge either so he went to get the gunsmith. He came into the range to tell me the gunsmith would be in momentarily. At this point he picked it up again and got the hammer to move, then it fired when he pulled the trigger. This was at the end of my hour anyway so I said thanks (didn't want to drive home with the gun it that state) and packed up.

We were all stumped, but the range guy did mention that he had seen something similar and it was determined that the round that was in the gun when the failure occurred was a shade longer than normal. That got me thinking, is it the gun or the ammo???

My other 32ACP ammo is some Winchester white box, 71gr, FMJ with a blunt nose. Quite a bit shorter than the Fiocchi with the round nose. Plus, looking at both rounds, the extraction groove on the Fiocchi round is much longer than the Winchester groove, and the rim of the casing is thicker on the Fiocchi round:

View attachment 73338

I haven't taken the pistol apart to clean and inspect, but could the differences in the extraction groove cause the thing to jam up like that and make it so the slide will not move? that's quite a bite of difference between the 2 rounds, maybe the Zastava wasn't designed to use ammo like the Fiocchi.

Last time I shot the Zastava, all I used was the Winchester ammo and did not have the problem.

What ammo you guys using?

Oh...my shooting buddy also shot his "Bee" and was using only Winchester white box ammo, no problems. He shot 50 rnds and shot less than 30 due to the problems. I did shoot my Beretta Model 81 using the Fiocchi and it shot without issue.
Well first of all, Fiocchi may have been made in Italy. These guns were designed for European ammo. Now, in my Zastava I have been shooting Prvi Patizan ammo made in Serbia. Ran like a charm. No problem at all, even in a mag dump or two I did just for function check.

And I have some Italian made Fiocchi 73gr right here. Opened a box and a box of Prvi in 71gr. Both are pretty much identical to one another. However, my Prvi is a tiny bit longer overall. That is the only difference I see.

Now, I would dis-assemble and really make certain your chamber is clean. Could be a build up there of powder or a bit of cosmo that burned hard in there. These had a lot of it.

Also, that trigger assembly these have, were filled with cosmo. I have soaked that trigger assembly three or four times now and then blow it out with a can of compressed air like used for computers. Each time I have found another bit of cosmo or two come out. At the range last Tuesday my trigger started getting a bit heavier on pull. So, I am going to either soak it again or try brake cleaner this time. Then lube it up. I may shoot some gun grease in that assembly and try that also. I also need to add a bit to the slide rails.
I suspect it is not your ammo.

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
It's clean and lubed, about the only thing that could cause the slide not to move would be if the hammer assy had risen off of the cross bar it sits on.

Here's a couple of photos of the hammer assy, what has me concerned is there's a slight bend at one of the top left corner of the assy, looks like it's made that way but still has me wandering if it ought to be there:

First photo is looking at the top of the assy, you can see the bent area in the top left corner. The grayish upside down "L-shaped" area is what I'm talking about:

This photo is taken from the rear, the bent area is again at top left, should the bend be there or not:

The hammer assy is a loose fit inside the frame and falls out easily if the frame is tilted.

If this bend is suppose to be there than I see nothing else that could cause the problem. Next time I shoot it I'm only going to use the Winchester white box ammo and see what happens.

·
Administrator
24,571 Posts
Well that's good, because the lighting in your pictures is horrible. I can't see any details in them.

Reactions: Dubar

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
Well that's good, because the lighting in your pictures is horrible. I can't see any details in them.
OK, take your flashlight and.....😁

I'm the world's worst when it comes to taking photos, will try better! Those were taken late last night without a lot-o-light on in the house.

·
Premium Member
9,318 Posts
Pretty clear that its an ammunition problem. Jusy keep buying what works. Stay away from Fiocchi.

·
Premium Member
6,849 Posts
Have your friend try some Fiocchi and see what his does. I still think it could be inside that trigger assembly or the bar inside the gun that is causing it.

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
Have your friend try some Fiocchi and see what his does. I still think it could be inside that trigger assembly or the bar inside the gun that is causing it.
Yep, I need to take it apart again and observe how the trigger parts move. The gun is so simple there' not too many things that would cause the slide to lock up like that. All 3 times it happened it was like it was solidly locked up then all of a sudden I could move the slide again.

·
Premium Member
9,318 Posts
not too many things that would cause the slide to lock up like that
No, but an overly long cartridge is a main one. It’s common enough that you can not call it uncommon.

Just looking at your picture and you can tell one of those cartridges is out of spec. Either that or it’s an optical illusion. Are both of those cartridges the same distance from the lens? What’s the case length of each fired cartridge?

Regardless, you already know the pistol works with no problems.
You are looking for the problem where the problem does not exist. You already know where it is.

Reactions: Dubar
101 - 120 of 138 Posts