Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
121 - 138 of 138 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
greg_r I think you're right.

Both cartridges were the same distance from the camera, I'm very surprised in the difference between them. Like OldOutlaw said, that particular Fiocchi ammo actually came from Italy (red box).

What concerns me the most is the difference in the base of the brass casings as seen in the photo. The thickness of the rim on the Fiocchi is much greater than that of the Winchester, plus the head (had to look up what it's called) is longer. But what stumps me is that I did fire several of the Fiocchi rounds without it jamming up. Maybe the 3 rounds that did jamb were just too long in the head or thick in the rim. I wish I had kept the last casing after the range guy was able to get it working and fired it.

Only thing to do at this point is take it back to the range and try it again. I also have a box of PMC 60gr JHP, which appears to be the same length as the Winchester white box and should work fine.

·
Premium Member
9,331 Posts
greg_r I think you're right.

Both cartridges were the same distance from the camera, I'm very surprised in the difference between them. Like OldOutlaw said, that particular Fiocchi ammo actually came from Italy (red box).

What concerns me the most is the difference in the base of the brass casings as seen in the photo. The thickness of the rim on the Fiocchi is much greater than that of the Winchester, plus the head (had to look up what it's called) is longer. But what stumps me is that I did fire several of the Fiocchi rounds without it jamming up. Maybe the 3 rounds that did jamb were just too long in the head or thick in the rim. I wish I had kept the last casing after the range guy was able to get it working and fired it.

Only thing to do at this point is take it back to the range and try it again. I also have a box of PMC 60gr JHP, which appears to be the same length as the Winchester white box and should work fine.
All I have shot out of mine is the blazer brass. No issues, except with the magazine that came from The Old Western Scrounger. I don’t know what kind of magazine it is, but pretty sure it’s not for the Zastava M70. I finally got it to feed, but still it will not lock the slide back when empty. Got a couple of mags off of an auction sight, they and the originals work fine. The Old Western Scrounger mag looks different as well.

To your original problem, I have seen several firearms with the action locked shut, including one of my own, a Ruger American Compact Pistol. Each and every one was caused by out of spec ammunition.

Also had a Bersa Thunder that would eat everything I fed it. Except for S&B, which it choked on. Even my reloads using S&B brass it choked on. My other 380’s ate it just fine. Reminds me of Brussels Sprouts. Everybody in my family likes them, except for my granddaughter. She chokes on them! 👀

Reactions: Dubar

·
Registered
everything but shotguns
12 Posts
I just ordered one of these direct from the original importer. rguns. Theirs do have the original sights and two mags.
I have 2 from them..no complaints you'll need to drown the holsters in neetsfoot oil & stick em a bag for weeks. It is amazingly accurate, if odd looking.

·
Premium Member
6,851 Posts
I have 2 from them..no complaints you'll need to drown the holsters in neetsfoot oil & stick em a bag for weeks. It is amazingly accurate, if odd looking.
Screw those holsters. Not worth the effort. Holsters are not designed to be used for CCW or a car gun for SD.
I've gotta get some lube some where to solve my trigger problem. I suspect I need to grease that magazine safety bar.
The more rounds I shoot in a range trip, the heavier the trigger pull becomes on one of my M70.

·
Premium Member
9,331 Posts
I actually sort of like my M70. I like that it’s all metal. And I like the feel in the hand. I do not like the magazine I got from Old Western Scrounger. Not sure what it is, but I am pretty sure it’s not a Zastava M70 magazine. It looks nothing like the other magazines I have for the gun. At first it would not feed, but after tinkering with it it does now, most of the time. It does lock in solid though, but it doesn’t hold the slide back. The other magazines I have no issue with, they work fine.

The pistol reminds me of a cross between my Bond Arms derringer and my PT22. Like the bond arms the trigger is almost impossible to,pull unless you grip the pistol like it wants to be gripped, and like the PT22 the magazines don’t drop clean. You have to strip them from the pistol. Still, for what I paid for it, it is worth the price of admission. I have no worries about it going bang when I want it to, unless I use the magazine I got from OWS. And it pretty much puts the bullets where I want them to go.

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
the trigger is almost impossible to,pull unless you grip the pistol like it wants to be gripped
That's what I find when shooting using my right hand but if I switch to my left it feels right and easier to pull the trigger...Maybe I'm a lefty and don't know it o_O

I'm going to slop mine up with lube next time I shoot it, hopefully this week.

·
Administrator
24,594 Posts
That's what I find when shooting using my right hand but if I switch to my left it feels right and easier to pull the trigger...Maybe I'm a lefty and don't know it o_O

I'm going to slop mine up with lube next time I shoot it, hopefully this week.
Less bad habits on your non dominant hand...

·
Premium Member
9,331 Posts
I have a habit of putting too much finger into the trigger guard. If I fire my Zastava (and my Bond Arms) using just the first pad of my finger the trigger is much easier to operate.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Found out today mine doesn't like PMC. Not at all. That's made in South Korea right?
It has operated flawlessly with both the PPU and Remington UMC.
I need to look and see if I can detect a difference in the rounds.
Had a good day with it today. I really like shooting it.
I know the KelTec P32 will shoot the PMC so no worries.

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
I ran a little test on mine today. I took it apart (again) and put a round of each makers (Fiocchi, Wiinchester, PMC) ammo in the chamber to see if I could see a difference in how far each round went in/stuck out.

Here's a photo of the 3 rounds, Fiocchi on top, middle is Winchester, bottom is PMC:

Here's the Fiocchi round in the barrel. I tried to get an accurate measurement of how far it was sticking out and came up with 7/64":

Here's the Winchester, it sticks out only half as much, 7/128":

Here's the PMC, sticks out 5/64":

Never had a problem with the Winchester, the Fiocchi was what I was using when I had the 3 that caused the slide to lockup, haven't fired the PMC yet.

With the Fiocchi sticking out twice as far as the Winchester, that concerns me. Not only that, but when I stick in it and try to pull it out there's some stickiness to it like it doesn't want to come out. Neither of the other 2 brands do that and I can't tell what is causing the Fiocchi to stick in the chamber, the chamber is clean. It's almost like the bullet is lodging in the barrel.

Not very scientific but there it is. I tried to use my dial caliper but the top (internal) jaws aren't long or narrow enough to get a good reading so I used a machinists ruler.

I want to go shoot it this week but don't know if I'll make it to the range.

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
Just to compare, I took apart my Beretta M81 to see how the Fiocchi and Winchester rounds fit in the chamber.

Here's the Fiocchi in the M81:

And now the Winchester:

Very little difference that I can tell, although the Fiocchi does appear to stick out just a bit farther, but not twice as far as in the Zastava. I'm thinking the bulbous nose of the Fiocchi round just isn't a good fit for the Zastava. I'm going to the range this morning and shoot it again using the Winchester ammo, not gonna try the Fiocchi as I'm not sure what's going to happen.

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
Just got back from the range. ZERO problems with the Winchester 71gr white box ammo, put 50 rnds (all I had o_O ) thru it without a hitch. Now to find more!!!

Also put 200+ rounds thru my Bersa Thunder 22, had 3 or 4 that didn't feed right but the rest shot find.

I was the only one there, everyone else must have gotten scared off by the remnants of the hurricane.

·
Premium Member
2,643 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,851 Posts
Two magazines? That's a deal...those mags seem difficult to get.
Yes, original ones seem unobtainable. That is why I bought from the importer who also had the original rear sights on the pistol. Got two of them now and really like the all steel weapon. Plus, accuracy is very good. Better than most of the various surplus pistols I have owned over a few decades now. Gotta get used to the heavy trigger pull, or get some grease into that one piece trigger housing it seems.

·
Premium Member
9,331 Posts
I have been able to find the M70 7.65 magazines fairly easily. Hit the gun auction sites. I have found them from $25 to $50. Most of them near the higher mark.

·
Premium Member
2,643 Posts
Yes, original ones seem unobtainable. That is why I bought from the importer who also had the original rear sights on the pistol. Got two of them now and really like the all steel weapon. Plus, accuracy is very good. Better than most of the various surplus pistols I have owned over a few decades now. Gotta get used to the heavy trigger pull, or get some grease into that one piece trigger housing it seems.
About ten years ago, I had a Polish P-64, and man did it have a horrendous trigger pull...in double action anyways!

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
I bought several boxes of Sellier & Bellot 32ACP ammo to try in the Bee. It sits in the chamber just fine, haven't shot it yet but I see no reason it won't. Comparing the roll-crimped Fiocchi to the S&B, I can see a difference in the shape of the bullet. Maybe I got a bad batch of Fiocchi ammo (but all the length/width dimensions seem to be within spec), don't know but I know it works in my Beretta M81 and not the Zastava.

I use Fiocchi as my goto ammo for all calibers, but I won't be buying anymore in 32ACP.

Glad to see the ammo prices coming down!!!

121 - 138 of 138 Posts