Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1441 - 1460 of 1463 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,963 Posts
I've got an interesting one right now. My brother called and asked if I could do .243 - which I can. He said he's tried all the commercial ammo he can get, but nothing groups, so could L see what I can do. He dropped the rifle off - a Model 70 - and I checked the mounts and made sure the gun was clean. (I knew it was a waste of time as he takes good care of his guns, but you start with the basics) Now I'm going through the componants I have wondering where to start. So, realizing every gun is different, who has experience with this caliber? I'm thinking start with RL22 and W760 - maybe 3031 - and 100 grain Sierra boat tails. Federal match primers, maybe magnums in the 760. I have Hornady and Winchester brass. Size and trim and clean primer pockets to eliminate as many variables as possible. Any sugggestions for powder would helpful.
Late to the party here, but in my experience inaccurate 243’s is usually due to the bullets rather than the other components. Lighter bullets have done the trick for me. 75 to 85 grains seems to be the sweet spot. All my experience with this caliber has been with Handi Rifles. Don’t know if that makes a difference or not.

Reactions: histed

·
Premium Member
36,700 Posts
Accuracy and grouping in a .243 often comes down to twist rate, and matching the bullet weight to that. Like Greg said, with a 1:10 twist, the lighter bullets are probably better. Your 100 grain bullets may be too heavy.

·
Premium Member
JHP
9,094 Posts
Showed my SIL how to reload. He’s had everything for so long, the dies all rusted to death in a conex in Texas. Two powered powder drops, A Redding T-7 press, Redding dies for about 5 things including .225 Winchester. He’s got no idea why, on that one.

I gave him dies, a pound of powder and components to make 100 30-06 shells last year, so this year, we got it going.
And today he made his first 30 shells. Completely like.....well crap, that was easy. Why’d I wait so long?

He also bought a Riton 6-24x50 scope for his BLR....for hunting.
I tried to talk him into the 3-9, but he’s a “more is better“ guy. At $229, it was a deal. He had a Leupold 3-9, but he never liked it.
So at some point, we need to get him sighted in. Should be fun.

Then, to add to the fun, we put his AR lower together. Again, he’s had the parts for 4-5 years. Rock River Lower, CMMG LPK. I showed him the stuff he needed to buy for the buttstock parts, we’ll see if he gets to it before next Christmas.

Kids....🤪
The first bullets I cast were .380 ACP.

After I dropped them onto the towel, I marveled at how perfectly they looked just laying there.

So,
I picked up one to better inspect it -

YOW!

Hurled it straight up into the ceiling and it bounced off the melting pot and onto the floor!

2nd and 3rd degree burns on index finger and thumb for my troubles.

Only good thing is I picked it up with my off hand.

Would have really sucked if I had used my right hand.

eldar

·
Super Moderator
25,930 Posts
I don't have one anymore but I did fix my old Pittsburgh calipers this morning. The lovely ultra fine dust out here in SECO got in to the electronics but an alcohol wipe, cotton swab, and lint free rag later we're back to 3 ½ decimal tolerances again. Verified with an engineering buddy's fancy dancy mitutoyos. He stopped by for coffee and had his in the truck so I figured, fudge it... why not? Turns out those cheapo polymer ones I have are spot on as well. Obviously not as accurate, what with only going to hundredths and all but...
Rectangle Wood Tool Gun accessory Wood stain

·
Premium Member
920 Posts
After finally getting the Lee mold I've been wanting for pre virus price I got to cast with it a couple times. Back in December I found the Lee 225-55-RF at Titan Reloading. Casted my first pills with it two weeks ago, only about 200. Yesterday I cast another 500 and today I gas checked and sized, next I'll powder coat and re-size them. Then I'll be loading some up with my new can of H380 for my 22-250.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I hadn't loaded anything in awhile but, loaded about 50 .38 Specials a couple days ago. 170 gr. 358429 cast with 5.0 gr. Unique, and CCI 500.

·
Premium Member
JHP
9,094 Posts
I hadn't loaded anything in awhile but, loaded about 50 .38 Specials a couple days ago. 170 gr. 358429 cast with 5.0 gr. Unique, and CCI 500.
Yow!

170 grains!

I used to reload up to 158 grain semi-jacketed for .38 Special or .357 Magnum but, 170grn, that's a heavy bullet.

You shoot it from a Carbine or rifle?

Admiring eldar

·
Premium Member
36,700 Posts
Go big, or go home!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Loaded about 100 or so 9mm Yesterday. 125 gr. RN PC with 5.0 gr. Unique and Tula small pistol primer.

Reactions: undeRGRound

·
Registered
451 Posts
Loaded a few .38's , 9mm, and sized some .45 acp the last few days.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Yow!

170 grains!

I used to reload up to 158 grain semi-jacketed for .38 Special or .357 Magnum but, 170grn, that's a heavy bullet.

You shoot it from a Carbine or rifle?

Admiring eldar
No, not a carbine or rifle, just a Ruger Security Six and Taurus 605.

·
Premium Member
5,803 Posts
No, not a carbine or rifle, just a Ruger Security Six and Taurus 605.
Keith-style bullet? I've seen them advertised but never tried them. Supposed to be the cat's backside for hunting deer size animals with a handgun

·
Super Moderator
9,963 Posts
I used to use the Keith style. I have abandoned them for the WFN. They have the Keith bullets beat 6 days to Sunday.

Reactions: histed and moona11

·
Premium Member
5,803 Posts
I used to use the Keith style. I have abandoned them for the WFN. They have the Keith bullets beat 6 days to Sunday.
You casting them or buying them? If casting, do you have a mould name and number?

·
Super Moderator
9,963 Posts
You casting them or buying them? If casting, do you have a mould name and number?
I use the Lee molds almost exclusively. the 358-158-RF, C430-310-RF, and the C452-300-RF are what I have been using in the 357 Magnum, 44 Magnum, and 45 Colt.

Automotive tire Audio equipment Coil spring Cylinder Household hardware

·
Premium Member
5,803 Posts
Reactions: Rerun

·
Registered
451 Posts
I've also got some 193 gr. FP cast GC. I only load them in Magnum cases. Never shot a deer with one but, would have to be a thumper. I've been loading some ammo the last week. Mostly 9mm and .38, but did a few .45 ACP too.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,773 Posts
I've also got some 193 gr. FP cast GC. I only load them in Magnum cases. Never shot a deer with one but, would have to be a thumper. I've been loading some ammo the last week. Mostly 9mm and .38, but did a few .45 ACP too.
Ok QDoba,
Let me try and decode this...
193 grain, flat point, gas check?
Is it 357mag or what?

1441 - 1460 of 1463 Posts